UDDATED for 12c: Evaluating Oracle Data Mining Has Never Been Easier - Evaluation "Kit" Available
By chberger on Mar 23, 2012
UPDATED FOR ORACLE DATABASE 12 RELEASE AND SQL DEVELOPER/ORACLE DATA MINER 4.0
The Oracle Advanced Analytics Option turns the database into an enterprise-wide analytical platform that can quickly deliver enterprise-wide predictive analytics and actionable insights. Oracle Advanced Analytics empowers data and business analysts to extract knowledge, discover new insights and make predictions—working directly with large data volumes in the Oracle Database. Oracle Advanced Analytics, an option of Oracle Database Enterprise Edition, offers a combination of powerful in-database algorithms and open source R algorithms, accessible via SQL and R languages, and provides a range of GUI and IDE options targeting business users to data scientists.
Now you can quickly and easily get set up to starting using Oracle Data Mining, the SQL API & GUI component of the Oracle Advanced Analytics Database Option for evaluation purposes. Just go to the Oracle Technology Network (OTN) and follow these simple steps.
Oracle Data Mining Evaluation "Kit" Instructions
- Anyone can download and install the Oracle Database for free for evaluation purposes. Read OTN web site http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/database/enterprise-edition/downloads/index.html for details.
- Oracle Database 12c is the latest release and contains many new features. See Oracle Advanced Analytics 12c Dcoumentation's New Features and this recent Oracle Data Mining Blog posting.
- For Oracle Database Release 11g, 22.214.171.124.0 DB is the minimum, 126.96.36.199 is better and naturally 188.8.131.52 is best if you are a current customer and on active support.
- Either 32-bit or 64-bit is fine. 4GB of RAM or more works fine for SQL Developer and the Oracle Data Miner GUI extension.
- Downloading the database and installing it should take just about an hour or so, depending on your network and computer.
- For more instructions on setting up Oracle Data Mining see: http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/database/options/odm/dataminerworkflow-168677.html
- When you install the Oracle Database, the Oracle Data Mining Examples including sample data is available as part of the total Database installation. See link.
Step 2: Install SQL Developer 4.0 Early Adopter Release (the Oracle Data Miner GUI Extension installs automatically)
Step 3: Follow the
four free step-by-step Oracle-by-Examples e-training lessons: (Note: Currently the OBEs are based on SQL Developer 3.2 and are being updates, but they are very similar)
- Setting Up Oracle Data Miner 11g Release 2 This tutorial covers the process of setting up Oracle Data Miner 11g Release 2 for use within Oracle SQL Developer 3.0.
- Using Oracle Data Miner 11g Release 2 This tutorial covers the use of Oracle Data Miner to perform data mining against Oracle Database 11g Release 2. In this lesson, you examine and solve a data mining business problem by using the Oracle Data Miner graphical user interface (GUI).
- Star Schema Mining Using Oracle Data Miner This tutorial covers the use of Oracle Data Miner to perform star schema mining against Oracle Database 11g Release 2.
- Text Mining Using Oracle Data Miner This tutorial covers the use of Oracle Data Miner to perform text mining against Oracle Database 11g Release 2.
Easy, fun and the fastest way to get started evaluating Oracle Data Mining.