By Irem Radzik-Oracle on Feb 18, 2014
Simply amazing! That’s how I would summarize last week’s webcast for Oracle GoldenGate 12c. It was a very interactive event with hundreds of live attendees and hundreds of great questions. In the presentation part my colleagues, Doug Reid and Joe deBuzna, went over the new features of Oracle GoldenGate 12c. They explained Oracle GoldenGate 12c key new features including:
- Integrated Delivery for Oracle Database,
- Coordinated Delivery for non-Oracle databases,
- Support for Oracle Database 12c multitenant architecture,
- Enhanced high availability via integration with Oracle Data Guard Fast-Start Failover,
- Expanded heterogeneity, i.e. support for new databases and operating systems,
- Improved security,
- Low-downtime database migration solutions for Oracle E-Business Suite,
- Integration with Oracle Coherence.
We also had a nice long and live Q&A section. In the previous Oracle GoldenGate webcasts, we could not respond to all audience questions in a 10-15 minute timeframe at the end of the presentation. This time we kept the presentation part short and left more than 30 minutes for Q&A. To our surprise, we could not answer even half of the questions we received.
If you missed this great webcast discussing the new features of Oracle GoldenGate 12c, and more than 30 minutes of Q&A with GoldenGate Product Management, you can still watch it on demand via the link below.
On this blog post I would like to provide brief answers from our PM team for some of the questions that we were not able to answer during the live webcast.
1) Does Oracle GoldenGate replicate DDL statements or DML for Oracle Database?
Oracle GoldenGate replicates DML and DDL operations for Oracle Database and Teradata.
2) Where do we get more info on how to setup integration with Data Guard Fast-Start Failover (FSFO)?
Please see the following blog posts or documents on My Oracle Support:
Best Practice - Oracle GoldenGate and Oracle Data Guard - Switchover/Fail-over Operations for GoldenGate [My Oracle Support Article ID 1322547.1]
Best Practice - Oracle GoldenGate 11gr2 integrated extract and Oracle Data Guard - Switchover/Fail-over Operations [My Oracle Support Article ID 1436913.1]
3) Does GoldenGate support SQL Server 2012 extraction? In the past only apply was supported.
Yes, starting with the new 12c release GoldenGate captures from SQL Server 2012 in addition to delivery capabilities.
4) Which RDBMS does GoldenGate 12c support?
GoldenGate supports all major RDBMS. For a full list of supported platforms please see Oracle GoldenGate certification matrix.
5) Could you provide some more details please on Integrated Delivery for dynamic parallel threads at Target side?
Please check out our white papers on Oracle GoldenGate 12c resource kit for more details on the new features, and how Oracle GoldenGate 12c works with Oracle Database.
6) What is the best way to sync partial data (based on some selection criterion) from a table between databases?
Please refer to the article: How To Resync A Single Table With Minimum Impact To Other Tables' Replication? [Article ID 966211.1]
7) How can GoldenGate be better than database trigger to push data into custom tables?
Triggers can cause high CPU overhead, in some cases almost double compared to reading from redo or transaction logs. In addition, they are intrusive to the application and cause management overhead as application changes. Oracle GoldenGate's log-based change data capture is not only low-impact in terms of CPU utilization, but also non-intrusive to the application with low maintenance requirements.
8) Are there any customers in the manufacturing industry using GoldenGate and for which application?
We have many references in manufacturing. In fact, SolarWorld USA was our guest speaker in the executive video webcast last November. You can watch the interview here. RIM Blackberry uses Oracle GoldenGate for multi-master replication between its global manufacturing systems. Here is another manufacturing customer story from AkzoNobel.
9) Does GoldenGate 12c support compressed objects for replication? Also does it supports BLOB/CLOB columns?Yes, GoldenGate 12c and GoldenGate 11gR2 both support compressed objects. GoldenGate has been supporting BLOB/CLOB columns since version 10.
10) Is Oracle Database 18.104.22.168 mandatory to use GoldenGate 12c Integrated Delivery? Not earlier versions?
Yes. To use GoldenGate 12c’s Integrated Delivery, for the target environment Oracle Database 11.2.04 and above is required .
11) We have Oracle Streams implementation for more than 5 years. We would like to migrate to GoldenGate, however older version of GoldenGate were not supporting filtering individual transactions. Is it supported in GoldenGate 12c?
Yes, it is supported in GoldenGate 12c.
In future blog posts I will continue to provide answers for common questions we received in the webcast. In the meanwhile I highly recommend watching the Introducing Oracle GoldenGate 12c: Extreme Performance Simplified webcast on demand.