2015 Oracle Excellence Awards… and the Winners for the Big Data, Business Analytics and Data Integration Category are…
By Sandrine Riley-Oracle on Nov 13, 2015
Every year at OpenWorld, Oracle announces the winners to its most prestigious awards, the Oracle Excellence Awards. This year, as we have in previous years, we celebrated in style! In an Oscars-like ceremony on Tuesday, October 27th, customers were highlighted for their innovative solutions. Congratulations to all winners!
Let me introduce this year’s 2015 Big Data, Business Analytics and Data Integration category winners:
Amazon.com, an American electronic commerce and cloud computing company, is the largest Internet-based retailer in the United States.
During its growth over the years, Amazon never invested in back office systems and processes believing that they could scale without impact to their business. After almost 15 years of exponential growth into a multi-national and diverse business, Amazon recognized that they needed to address improve their ability to manage financial reporting.
Together with The Hackett Group, they built an EPM and BI solution to ensure they could deliver automated financial reporting and analytics to over 1,000 stakeholders across the company. Using Oracle Data Integrator Enterprise Edition, Application Adaptors for Data Integration, Oracle BI Enterprise Edition, Oracle Essbase, and various Hyperion products – the solution yields huge benefits:
· 100% Positive Feedback from user community, leadership claiming First Successful Financial Systems Implementation
• 50% + Reduction in Time to Complete Close Process from 10+ days to 5 days
• 1,000s of Hours Saved per Month across 1,000 users in data analysis & mining
The automation of reporting that the reports and analytic capabilities are correct has truly provided the confidence Amazon.com desired in moving forward and providing modernization and agility in future business decisions.
CaixaBank is a leading Spanish retail bank and insurer. Centering on delivering customer service through innovation and technology, CaixaBank is regarded as a leading financial institution in global innovation and has pioneered the development of new means of payment.
They set out to become a data-driven company using Big Data architecture using Business Analytics tools by: Democratizing use of data for Reporting, Dashboarding and Analysis, Empowering end-user by allowing combine data for discovering Business patterns and niches and Blending Structured and Non-Structured information. Built on top of Exadata and Exalytics, and leveraging Oracle Business Intelligence, Oracle Big Data Analytics, and Oracle Data Integration tools, CaixaBank’s solution:
• Enabled 360°Understanding of Customers to offer tailored, on-demand banking and insurance solutions
• 50,000+ hours saved/year on Big Data Project Development versus previous methods
• 75 Big Data projects - 16% drives increased economic margin, 14% addresses cost reduction, 27% improves process and saves time – generating 5 Million+ Euros
Their initial success is driving CaixaBank to transition towards a real time driven organization, enabling the monetization of their data relative to business targets.
Serta is the #1 mattress manufacturer in the United States and one of the most recognized home furnishing brands in the marketplace. In an effort to modernize the antiquated and inefficient ERP system to service financial reporting, and provide IPO readiness, they quickly implemented a scalable solution across the enterprise leveraging Oracle BI Foundation Suite, Oracle Endeca Information Discovery, various Hyperion products, Essbase Analytics Link for Hyperion Financial Management, Oracle Data Relationship Management, and Oracle Data Relationship Governance.
Together with Grant Thornton, the solution took 7 months, and yields:
• Scalable, integrated platform delivered improved system stability thanks to consolidated, standardized, data acquisition and better quality data
• Which in turn, improved the reliability and confidence in self service analytics
• 90% faster to produce Standardized Reporting - 9 business days saved per month
• 275% improvement in availability of data, allowing users to access and provide timely analysis of the data
This solution has provided Serta Simmons some truly amazing results, where the overhead cost reduction is in the millions due to higher quality speedier information, providing a strong foundation for future expansion of this solution.
Skanska AB, founded in 1887, is one of the world’s leading project development and construction groups, with expertise in commercial and residential projects and public-private partnerships. Skanska creates sustainable solutions and aims to be a leader in quality, green construction, work safety, and business ethics
Skanska needed to optimize its monthly management reporting – including shipping data to a 3rd party for augmenting. They wanted to simplify development and testing of new information solutions and reports, and ensure that users could quickly and easily adapt the collection and analysis of information to meet new requirements.
In a centralized, single cloud environment for management reporting worldwide, Skanska is using Oracle BI Cloud Service. The solution benefits include:
• Full data load to “ready to analyze” in < 5 minutes
• 17 days to implement
Oracle BI Cloud Service is proving reliable, being constantly accessible to 60K users via mobile devices in this global organization.
Scottish and Southern Energy, SSE is involved in producing, distributing and supplying electricity and gas and other energy related services. Within the UK, the focus on energy companies and power generation industry is in the spotlight, with growing regulation and joint assessment of competition in the energy market. To ensure that Scottish & Southern Energy (SSE) and subsequently, the SSE Generation directorate, can continue to operate in this ever changing environment, whilst developing and retaining a competitive edge over its market rivals, data on its entire business, and the way it manages and uses that data will need to be a key focus.
SSE was looking for an agile and rapid delivery of mobile accessible BI dashboards which otherwise would have taken their internal IT teams a considerable amount of on premise infrastructure design and provisioning. The Oracle BI Cloud enabled functionality to be surfaced in an extremely short amount of time using real Generation business data to present to senior executives.
• Cloud Infrastructure is more Cost and Time effective; 6 weeks of work compared to 6 months
• Increased confidence within internal SSE business community for delivering right solution
• Management Dashboard key enabler for more effective and quicker decisions by leadership team
The advantages that are available to SSE in utilizing ‘Cloud’ based solutions in regards to speed, flexibility and agility in conjunction with the on premises solutions. SSE finds it is able to integrate data from multiple sources into “Single Source of Truth” and in turn make long term informed decisions vital for the future sustainability of SSE.
Tampa International Airport is one of the region's most significant economic engines, with a total economic output of more than $7 billion. The airport and its tenants employ more than 7,500 people on the airport campus and support more than 81,000 jobs in the community.
Tampa International Airport set out to modernize their infrastructure and data acquisition strategy knowing better data integration and business analytics would strengthen their business and customer loyalty. Sitting on top of Exadata, Exalogic, and Exalytics, Tampa International Airport combined Oracle Data Integrator and Oracle GoldenGate with Oracle BI Foundation Suite for better analytics around passengers, parking, concessions, baggage claim, etc. In 6 months, the completed project yields major benefits:
• With better analysis helping them add new routes, they have seen a 6.7% Yearly Passenger Increase, the largest in year-over-year growth in a decade, with international traffic increasing by more than 14%
• 4.6% increase in revenues driven by greater analysis of the Authority’s parking, concessions and rental car businesses resulting in greater spend per passenger
• 150% reduction in Time to Complete Planning & Forecasting Process via more efficient resource and people management
The success has provided Tampa International Airport sets a shift in paradigm – for a more proactive, strategic and operational excellence – all in an effort to better serve their customers.
CONGRATULATIONS to our Big Data, Business Analytics and Data Integration category winners!