Oracle GoldenGate 12c - Leading Enterprise Replication
By Doug Reid on Oct 24, 2013
Oracle GoldenGate 12c released on October 17th and includes several new cutting edge features that firmly establishes GoldenGate's leader position in the data replication space. In fact, this release more than doubles the performance of data delivery, supports Oracle's new multitenant database feature, it's more secure, has more options for high availability, and has made great strides to simplify the configuration and deployment of the product. Read through the press release if you haven't already and do not miss the quote from Cern's Eva Dafonte Perez, regarding Oracle GoldenGate 12c "….performs five times faster compared to previous GoldenGate versions and simplifies the management of a multi-tier environment"
There are a variety of new and improved features in the Oracle GoldenGate 12c. Here are the highlights:
- Optimized for Oracle Database 12c - GoldenGate 12c is custom tailored to the unique capabilities of Oracle database 12c and out of the box GoldenGate 12c supports multitenant (pluggable database (PDB)) and non-consolidated deployments of Oracle Database 12c. The naming convention used by database 12c is now in three parts (PDB-name, schema-name, and object name). We have made changes to the GoldenGate capture process to support the new naming convention and streamlined the whole process so a single GoldenGate capture process is being used at the container level rather than at each individual PDB. By having the capture process at the container level resource usage and the number of processes are reduced. To view a conceptual architecture diagram click here.
- Integrated Delivery for the Oracle Database - Leveraging a lightweight streaming API built exclusively for Oracle GoldenGate 12c, this process distributes load, auto tunes the degree of parallelism, scales better, and delivers blinding rates of changed data delivery to the Oracle database. One of the goals for Oracle GoldenGate 12c was to reduce IT costs by simplifying the configuration and reduce the time to manage complex infrastructures. In previous versions of Oracle GoldenGate, customers would split transaction loads by grouping tables into multiple different delivery processes (click here to view the previous method). Each delivery process executed independently and without any interaction or knowledge of other delivery processes. This setup was complicated to configure and time consuming as the developer needed in-depth knowledge of the source and target schemas and the transaction profile. With GoldenGate 12c and Integrated Delivery we have made it easier to configure and faster to deploy. To view a conceptual architecture diagram of integrated delivery click here
- Coordinated Delivery for Non-Oracle Databases - Coordinated Delivery orchestrates high-speed apply processes and simplifies the configuration of GoldenGate for non-Oracle targets. In Oracle GoldenGate 12c a single delivery process is used with multiple threads (click here) and key events, such as primary key updates, event markers, DDL, etc, are coordinated between the various threads to insure that the transactions are applied in the same sequence as they were captured, all while delivery improved performance.
- Replication Between On-Premises and Cloud-Based systems. - The trend for business to utilize both on-premises and cloud-based systems is rising and businesses need to replicate data back and forth. GoldenGate 12c can be configured in a variety of ways to provide real-time replication when unrestricted or restricted (limited ports or HTTP tunneling) networks are between on-premises and cloud-based systems.
- Expanded Heterogeneity - It wouldn't be a GoldenGate release without new and improved platform support. Release 1 includes support for MySQL 5.6 and Sybase 15.7. Upcoming in the next release GoldenGate, support will be expanded for MS SQL Server, DB2, and Teradata.
- Tighter Security - Oracle GoldenGate 12c is integrated with the Oracle wallet to shield usernames and passwords using strong encryption and aliases. Customers accustomed to using the Oracle Wallet with other Oracle products will instantly be familiar with how to use this great new feature
- Expanded Oracle Application and Technology Support - GoldenGate can be used along with Oracle Coherence to enable real-time changed data feeds to the Coherence cache using Toplink and the Oracle GoldenGate JMS adapter. Plus, Oracle Advanced Customer Services (ACS) now offers a low downtime E-Business Suite platform and database migrations using GoldenGate as the enabling technology.
Keep tuned for more blogs on the new features and the upcoming launch webcast where we will go into these new features in more detail. In the mean time make sure to read through our white paper "Oracle GoldenGate 12c Release 1 New Features Overview"