By Dain C. Hansen on May 13, 2013
The new release of Oracle BI Applications 11g, release 22.214.171.124.1, has been designed to add new in-memory analytic applications, expand functional content across existing front and back-office Oracle BI Applications, and leverage the advantages of Oracle Data Integrator Enterprise Edition (ODI). Oracle Business Intelligence (BI) Applications provide complete, real-time, and enterprise wide insight for all users, enabling fact-based actions and intelligent interaction. Designed for rapid deployment at a low cost of ownership, Oracle Business Intelligence Applications are prebuilt solutions that start with the customer, embrace any existing corporate data source, and are seamlessly integrated with Oracle’s transactional solutions to increase effectiveness across the entire customer life cycle.
ODI Advantages for BI Applications
Leveraging the power of ODI, the new release of BI Applications enables customers to increase IT efficiency and reduce costs with a comprehensive data integration platform that covers all data integration requirements – including big data, application integration, as well as BI / data warehousing.
ODI helps to integrate data end-to-end across the full BI Applications architecture, supporting capabilities such as data-lineage which helps business users identify report-to-source capabilities. And while Oracle has re-architectured the solution to use ODI, major concepts still remain the same. For example, mappings and the data warehouse still supports multiple sources, full and incremental loads, slowly changing dimensions, and can be customized.
In addition, customers can choose the option to replicate their data in real-time using Oracle GoldenGate. Oracle GoldenGate products offer real-time data integration, transactional data replication, and data comparison across heterogeneous systems. Oracle GoldenGate enables real-time business intelligence for improved business insight, query offloading to maximize OLTP performance, zero-downtime data migration, disaster recovery, and active-active database synchronization for continuous availability.
There are five key elements that differentiate Oracle Data Integration from other data integration offerings and make it the logical strategic choice as the foundation for Oracle BI Applications.
- Completeness. Oracle offers a comprehensive set of data integration capabilities that provides real-time and bulk data movement, data transformation, data services, data federation, data quality, real-time data replication and bidirectional synchronization, big data integration, and cloud data integration capabilities to support virtually any data integration needs.
- Best in class performance, availability, and reliability. Both ODI and Oracle GoldenGate are architected for maximum performance, availability, and reliability. ODI’s unique extract, load, transform (E-LT) architecture delivers multifold performance improvements over traditional extract, transform, load (ETL) solutions, and Oracle GoldenGate’s log-based real-time change data capture functionality enables thousands of transactions to be processed per second with transactional integrity. And Oracle GoldenGate has automatic recoverability in case of network outages or other interruptions.
- Fast time to value. ODI’s declarative design approach shortens implementation times. Its Oracle JDeveloper–based integrated development environment (IDE), called Oracle Data Integrator Enterprise Edition studio, is designed to dramatically increase developer productivity. Oracle GoldenGate has a simple yet robust architecture that allows deployment in a matter of weeks.
- Open and standards-based. A key strength for Oracle Data Integration products is the way they integrate heterogeneous sources and targets. Oracle’s products offer streamlined, low-impact data extract and delivery capabilities for all major platforms and databases. ODI also provides Hadoop-based transformation and loading capabilities and integrates data from a variety of sources such as JMS queues, XML files, and NoSQL. The products are optimized to support Oracle and non-Oracle technologies and applications.
- Low total cost of ownership. Many third-party technologies have low acquisition costs but cannot scale, are not reliable, or involve high maintenance costs. Oracle’s data integration offerings provide future-ready products that are very easy to manage and scale, and have lower total cost of ownership. Noteworthy for BI Apps - the number of intermediary servers can be reduced significantly by ODI’s unique E-LT architecture. This is because ODI does not depend on its agents to run on separate servers.
Even Greater Benefits on Oracle Engineered Systems
Oracle BI Applications are optimized to work especially with two Oracle Engineered Systems. Exalytics and the Exadata Database Machine. It is especially Oracle Exadata where there’s an even greater advantage for using Oracle Data Integration products with Oracle BI Applications. Because of ODI’s E-LT architecture, query performance is up to 7-10X faster and consequently transformations are faster and more efficient. Only E-LT architecture can deliver this type of performance advantage where SET-based transformations run natively on Oracle Exadata. Secondly, only Oracle GoldenGate delivers advanced real-time data integration capabilities such as Integrated Capture process for low-impact change data capture, support for compression and Oracle Advanced Security. In addition GoldenGate offers zero-down time migration to Oracle Exadata with its active-active database replication feature.
Get More Resources on Oracle Business Intelligence Applications and Oracle Data Integration:
- About Oracle Business Analytics
- Oracle Business Intelligence Applications
- Oracle Data Integration Resource kit
- Oracle Business Intelligence Solutions
- Watch the recorded webcast: Reduce Spend and Increase Profitability Through Analytics
- What's New in Oracle Business Intelligence (BI) Applications 126.96.36.199.1 datasheet
- Analyst Report: The Total Economic Impact of Oracle Business Intelligence Applications
- Business Intelligence Applications on Oracle Engineered Systems (PDF) white paper