Oracle Unveils the Oracle Big Data Appliance
By jgelhaus on Oct 03, 2011
At Oracle OpenWorld, Oracle announced the Oracle Big Data Appliance
New Engineered System Helps Customers Maximize the Value of Enterprise Big Data
More on this in Andy Mendelsohn's Oracle Database General Session at Oracle OpenWorld, Monday October 3 at 2pm PT. If not at the show, available on the Oracle OpenWorld YouTube channel.
- To help customers integrate and maximize the value of Big Data, Oracle announced the Oracle Big Data Appliance today at Oracle OpenWorld 2011.
- Weblogs, social media feeds, smart meters, sensors and other devices generate massive volumes of data (commonly defined as 'Big Data') that isn't readily accessible in enterprise data warehouses and business intelligence applications today.
- Offering customers an end-to-end solution for Big Data, the Oracle Big Data Appliance, in conjunction with Oracle Exadata Database Machine and the new Oracle Exalytics Business Intelligence Machine, delivers everything customers need to acquire, organize, analyze and maximize the value of Big Data within their enterprise.
- The Oracle Big Data Appliance is a new engineered system that includes an open source distribution of Apache™ Hadoop™, Oracle NoSQL Database, Oracle Data Integrator Application Adapter for Hadoop, Oracle Loader for Hadoop, and an open source distribution of R.
- Engineered to work together, the Oracle Big Data Appliance is easily integrated with Oracle Database 11g, Oracle Exadata Database Machine, and Oracle Exalytics Business Intelligence Machine, and is designed to deliver extreme analytics on all data types, with enterprise-class performance, availability, supportability and security.
Maximizing the Business Value of Big Data
- Oracle Big Data Appliance: The Oracle Big Data Appliance is an engineered system optimized for acquiring, organizing and loading unstructured data into Oracle Database 11g. The Oracle Big Data Appliance includes an open source distribution of Apache Hadoop, Oracle NoSQL Database, Oracle Data Integrator with Application Adapter for Hadoop, Oracle Loader for Hadoop, an open source distribution of R, Oracle Linux, and Oracle Java HotSpot Virtual Machine.
- Oracle NoSQL Database: Oracle NoSQL Database Enterprise Edition is a distributed, highly scalable, key-value database. Unlike competitive solutions, Oracle NoSQL Database is easy to install, configure and manage, supports a broad set of workloads, and delivers enterprise-class reliability backed by enterprise-class Oracle support.
- Oracle Data Integrator Application Adapter for Hadoop: The new Hadoop adapter simplifies data integration from Hadoop and an Oracle Database through Oracle Data Integrator's easy to use interface.
- Oracle Loader for Hadoop: Oracle Loader for Hadoop enables customers to use Hadoop MapReduce processing to create optimized data sets for efficient loading and analysis in Oracle Database 11g. Unlike other Hadoop loaders, it generates Oracle internal formats to load data faster and use less database system resources.
- Oracle R Enterprise: Oracle R Enterprise integrates the open-source statistical environment R with Oracle Database 11g. Analysts and statisticians can run existing R applications and use the R client directly against data stored in Oracle Database 11g, vastly increasing scalability, performance and security. The combination of Oracle Database 11g and R delivers an enterprise-ready deeply-integrated environment for advanced analytics.
- Oracle NoSQL Database, Oracle Data Integrator Application Adapter for Hadoop, Oracle Loader for Hadoop, and Oracle R Enterprise will be available both as standalone software products independent of the Oracle Big Data Appliance.
- "With the explosion of data in the past decade, including more machine-generated data and social data, companies are faced with the challenge of acquiring, organizing and analyzing this data to make better business decisions. New technologies, such as Hadoop, offer some relief, but don't provide a holistic solution for customers' Big Data needs," said Andrew Mendelsohn, senior vice president, Oracle Server Technologies. "With today's announcement, Oracle becomes the first vendor to offer customers a complete and integrated set of products to address critical Big Data requirements, unlock efficiencies, simplify management and create data insights that maximize business value."
- About Oracle Big Data Appliance
- About Oracle Exadata Database Machine
- About Oracle Exalytics Business Intelligence Machine
- About Oracle Database 11g
- Connect with Oracle Database via Blog, Facebook and Twitter