By Margaret Hamburger-Oracle on Dec 13, 2013
Oracle Database Appliance X4-2 Hardware is here!
Engineered as three separate rack-mountable components, Oracle Database Appliance X4-2 hardware provides all the performance benefits associated with the latest generation of x86 architecture and the flexibility to add additional storage.
servers, optional double-mirrored or triple-mirrored expandable storage, and
hot swappable components, make Oracle Database Appliance X4-2 the perfect
clustered database and application platform that can be easily deployed to achieve maximum availability and uptime.
Oracle Database Appliance X4-2 hardware includes two independent servers and an expandable storage shelf. Each server is connected to the other with a redundant 10-GbE interconnect for cluster communication and to then to the storage shelf with redundant SAS host bus adapters. For best-in-class serviceability, there are two hot-swappable, redundant power supply and fan units in each server and 2 more in the storage shelf.
Oracle Database Appliance helps save time and money by simplifying deployment, maintenance, and support of highly-available database and application solutions. It's built using both Oracle Database and Oracle Real Application Clusters (RAC), to provide a fully integrated 'engineered system' of software, servers, storage, and networking to deliver high availability database services for a wide range of applications.
Oracle Database Appliance can be configured with as few as 2, and up to 48 processor cores. Only license the number of cores you need, then simply add more core licenses as your workload requirements grow.
Plus you can extend high availability to your application tier with the virtualization capability that allows you to host database and application workloads on the same appliance for even greater flexibility and more cost savings.
With Appliance Manager you can simplify the deployment process with one-button automation to help ensure database configuration adheres to Oracle’s best practices. It dramatically simplifies maintenance by patching the entire appliance in one operation which includes all firmware and software. Built-in diagnostics monitor the system and detect component failures, configuration issues, and deviations from best practices.
Oracle Database X4-2 Hardware Specification:
- Two servers, each containing two 12-core Intel Xeon E5-2697 v2 processors, 256 GB of low voltage memory, redundant SAS host bus adapters, a redundant 10-GbE interconnect, and four 10-GbE public networking ports
- Twenty 900 GB SAS Hard Disk Drives double-mirrored or triple-mirrored to provide 9 TB or 6 TB, respectively of highly-available useable shared storage. These high performing 10,000- RPM Hard Disk Drives provide accelerated database performance
- Four 200 GB SAS Solid State Drives protected by triple-mirroring provide highly-available low latency shared storage for database redo logs
- Two hot-swappable, redundant power supply and fan units in each server offer best-in-class serviceability and continuous system operation.
- Two hot-swappable, redundant power supply and fan units in the storage shelf offer best-in-class serviceability and continuous system operation.
- Redundant SAS host bus adapters in each server connecting to the storage shelf provide high-available access to the shared storage.
- Redundant SAS modules in the storage shelf provide highly-available access to the Hard Disk Drives.
- Each server provides four 10-GbE public networking ports.
- ILOM and management ports for each server provide management capability and independence in operation.
To learn more about Oracle Database Appliance X4-2