JDeveloper and ADF 12.2.1 is now available for download on Oracle Technology Network. The following new features have been introduced in the UI layer:
- Alta Skin is now enabled by default in all the
ADF Faces and Data Visualization components. Alta skin is an essential
component of the new Oracle Alta UI design system. For more information
on Oracle Alta UI please refer to the newly redesigned Alta design patterns website.
- Masonry Layout is
a new layout that displays its contents in a grid, like a dashboard. It
can take any ADF Faces component as a child, respectively called a
tile. Tiles can span columns and rows. When the UI is provided, users
can insert, delete, reorder and resize the tiles. When the available
display space changes, the masonry layout rearranges the tiles to fit
into the new display size.
- New Data Visualization Component: NBox
is used to visualize and compare data across two dimensions. It is
commonly used to visualize and compare employee performance. A new
data-binding dialog at design time for the NBox component is also
- Pie Chart Enhancements:The
innerRadius attribute on the Pie Chart lets the users create a "donut"
chart look. There are also new attributes to control pie slice gaps,
label positioning, and using pie slice explosion as a selection effect.
- Funnel Chart has replaced a now deprecated Funnel Graph. Funnel charts are typically used to
visualize a process where the different sections of the funnel represent
different stages in the process, for example stages in a sales cycle.
- Polar coordinate system: Several Chart types now support a new
coordinateSystem attribute that specifies if the chart uses Cartesian or Polar coordinates. A polar chart has a radial y-axis and
a tangential x-axis. Polar coordinate system can be used for bar, line,
area, combination, scatter, and bubble charts. Polygonal grid shape
(commonly known as "radar") is supported for polar line and area charts.
Polar charts are recommended for directional data. (e.g. air drag vs. boat angle)
Polar charts are also recommended for categorical data where
all categories are equally important. (e.g performance appraisal
Below are examples of Polar Bar and Polar Line Charts. Polar line has a polygonal shape grid also known as radar chart:
- Here are examples of scatter and bubble polar charts:
- Thematic Map - Map Provider feature
allows Thematic Map to be configured to retrieve geographic data from
any data source through the MapProvider APIs, including Oracle eLocation
services.The MapProvider APIs allow the custom basemap to be configured
and treated like a built-in basemap with all the same functionality
including drilling, short/long labels, custom region supprt,
pointLocation projections, etc.
- New Charting Design Time UI provides the ability for an end user to view a dynamic chart sample while binding data to various sections of the chart.
- New NBox design time is now available:
- The Diagram visualization, available since 12.1.3 release, now has support for design-time creation and data-binding:
You can read about other new features in JDeveloper and key themes for the release in this post by Shay Shmeltzer and the New Features document, and play with the ADF Faces Rich Client demo to learn more about the new features in ADF Faces and Data Visualization components.