JDeveloper and ADF 188.8.131.52.0 are now available for download on Oracle Technology Network. Even though this is a patchset release on top of 184.108.40.206 (released last October), we are happy to report that there are a number of new Data Visualization features that made their way to ADF from JET Data Visualizations.
- New visualization: Picto Chart uses discrete icons
to visualize an absolute number or relative sizes. It is extensively
used in infographics as a more interesting and effective way to present
numerical information than traditional tables and lists. Read more about PictoChart in ADF in this doc chapter.
- New visualization: Tag Cloud provides visual representation for text data, typically used to visualize free form text or tag metadata for a website. Read more abut Tag Cloud in this doc chapter.
- New Chart type: Stock Chart
is useful for displaying information about a stock on a time axis.
Unique to stock charts is the candlestick series which allows for
displaying open, close, high, low information for the stock price. Read more about Stock Chart in ADF in this doc chapter.
- Range Series Type: Range area and range bar charts help visualize data sets with varying low/high values (doc link).
- Hierarchical labels can now be used to display hierarchical data on the categorical axis charts (doc link)
- Chart Axis now supports logarithmic axis scale.
- Drilling can
now be enabled on the chart data items, series, and groups. This causes
a drill event to be fired when the user performs the drill interaction.
The application can listen to this event to update the chart with the
appropriate drilled data.
- Ability to individually style the categorical axis labels
allows for emphasizing specific groups, which is a lot more useful than
styling the labels as a whole. Tooltips are now also supported for
categorical axis labels.
A number of enhancements are now supported in Gauge components:
Meter Gauge: Ability to specify border and color for plot area, string
title, corner radius and border, displaying indicator wider than the
plot area (doc link)
- Circular Status Meter Gauge: Ability to control the radius, start angle and angle extent
- Support for human shapes for Rating Gauge and Led Gauge
- Vertical orientation for Rating Gauge
You can read about other new features in JDeveloper and key themes for the release in this post by Shay Shmeltzer and the New Features document, and play with the ADF Faces Rich Client demo to learn more about the new features in ADF Faces and Data Visualization components.