OpenSolaris Christmas Presents
By DarrenMoffat on Jan 02, 2007
I stopped reading my work email on 22nd December and only just started again this morning. I discovered three very interesting projects integrated into OpenSolaris during that time - nice OpenSolaris xmas presents if you like.
- The first is PSARC 2006/484 USB Video Class Driver. An updted version of Ekiga (the GNOME SIP/Video softphone will be needed to use this). I saw a demo of this at the London OpenSolaris User Group meeting with a Logitech Quickcam Pro 5000. I'm told the following devices from Logitech have been tested and are known to work:
- Logitech Quickcam Ultra Vision
- Logitech Quickcam Pro 5000
- Logitech Quickcam Fusion
- Logitech Quickcam Orbit MP
- Logitech Quickcam Pro for Notebooks
- The second is: PSARC 2006/649 USB Interface Association support. I had to look up with this actually means but it is cool new USB framework stuff that helps support devices that need a nexus driver because they have multiple functions. This is apparently needed for some video class drivers and the soon to integrate wireless USB devices.
- The third one is PSARC/2006/384 SATA AHCI HBA driver. This is a long awaited update to the SATA framework. This is part "framework" stuff and partly support for the Intel ICH6 and VIA vt8251 hardware. I believe there is a second phase for this project still to come that adds more support and FMA capability.