IEEE 754R Ballot
By darcy on Oct 03, 2006
For a number of years, the venerable IEEE 754 standard for binary floating-point arithmetic has been undergoing revision and the committee's results will soon be up for ballot. Back in 2003, I was editor of the draft for a few months and helped incorporate the decimal material.
The balloting process provides the opportunity for interested parties, such as consumers of the standard, to weigh in with comments; instructions for joining the ballot are available. The deadline for signing up has been extended to October 21, 2006.
Major changes from 754 include:
- Support for decimal formats and arithmetic
- Fused multiply add operation
- More explicit conceptual model of levels of specification
- Hexadecimal strings for binary floating-point values
- Annexes giving recommendations on expression evaluation, alternate exception handling, and transcendental functions