Java SE 6 Pops its Cork !
By dannycoward on Nov 07, 2006
You can all uncross your fingers and toes, because Java SE 6 has passed through its last stage before full release by passing its final approval ballot in the JCP Executive Committee. Java SE 6 has cleared the runway and is ready to land !
As a member of the EC I have been watching the voting over the last couple of weeks since the ballot started (practicing how not to react). My fingernails now start above the wrist. Here are all the JSRs that were on the ballot:-
- JSR 199, the Java Compiler API, which Peter led.
- JSR 202, the update to Class the file specification, led by Gilad.
- Lance led, JSR 221, JDBC 4.0.
- The Scripting for the Java Platform JSR 223, that Mike led.
- JSR 269, Joe's Pluggable Annotation APIs.
- JSR 268, the SmartCard I/O, which Andreas led, and which is not officially part of the platform, but is available in our JDK.
- and finally, the umbrella JSR that brings them all together, the platform JSR 270 which Mark led.
This, as you well know, is not a full listing of all the JSRs that are newly included in Java SE 6, because some of them had already completed. I hope everyone who participated either in the expert groups, implementation, compatibility tests or reviewing APIs along the way, feels really, really good about their contribution today.
There are just a few more checks to make before we do the full release in the next few weeks.
I know its not the only election going on today, but... W O O H O O !!