Thursday Jul 26, 2007
I came across the meta-presentation(http://www.slideshare.net/group/webapps-scalability/slideshows) on scalable web architectures. The lessons learned are interesting.
Saturday Jun 02, 2007
Tuesday Apr 24, 2007
Sunday Apr 08, 2007
By cwebster on Apr 08, 2007
I came across this article about using JPA in a web module. Using JPA in a web only module is more difficult than using JPA in EJB because of the differences in the threading models. Using a request scoped managed bean makes things a bit easier as the injection model is similar to EJB.
Wednesday Feb 07, 2007
Friday Jan 12, 2007
By cwebster on Jan 12, 2007
Todd Fast has an extensive blog entry about his vision of Bug Driven Development. This is worth a read.
By cwebster on Jan 12, 2007
I have been tagged by three people. Jonathan has also been tagged and is participating.
- I went to school at the University of Hawaii. The campus is in Hilo, where the average rainfall is about 130 inches by the coast and 300 inches up the mountain. There is also an active volcano not far from campus. Awesome place to live and go to school!
- I have been a volunteer coach for Special Olympics athletes. I have coached basketball, soccer, swimming and softball.
- My first job was at McDonalds.
- I grew up in Southern California. One of my favorite spots is Huntington Beach.
- I really enjoy rafting. About two years ago, my dad and I capsized a canoe and almost went over a waterfall. I still love it
Thursday Dec 21, 2006
By cwebster on Dec 21, 2006
The Universal Business Language Initiative was design to provide some common definitions in XML Schema to support an interoperable XML vocabulary. This is a daunting feat. This effort has produced some documents for Naming and Design guidelines of XML Schema. See the following: http://docs.oasis-open.org/ubl/prd-UBL-NDR-2.0.pdf. Beware, this document is 70+ pages but the guidelines are interesting to consider for schema authors. This was a massive effort so the advice here is interesting to people thinking about developing schemas which stand the test of time.
Friday Dec 15, 2006
Tuesday Dec 12, 2006
By cwebster on Dec 12, 2006
Java Studio Enterprise 8.1 was released today, see http://developers.sun.com/prodtech/javatools/jsenterprise/index.jsp. Java Studio Enterprise is branded and matched to the release of Java Enterprise System, see http://www.sun.com/software/javaenterprisesystem/ to support development using the latest Java Enterprise System.
Wednesday Oct 25, 2006
Thursday Oct 12, 2006
By cwebster on Oct 12, 2006
I came across the following article on build script practices today http://www-128.ibm.com/developerworks/java/library/j-ap10106/index.html. There is not much earth shattering information, but it is fun to see if you have ever created one of the anti-patterns described in this article. This article also had a reference to the Elements of Style for Ant. Both interesting reads.
Sunday Aug 27, 2006
By cwebster on Aug 27, 2006
There is a free online Solaris 10 course offered by Sun. This course covers zones, Dtrace, and other features of Solaris 10. Check it out at http://www.sun.com/training/catalog/courses/WS-245.xml.
Tuesday Aug 15, 2006
By cwebster on Aug 15, 2006
There is a very cool article about a program where Sun teamed up with PG&E to provide a rebate for efficient energy use of the Sun CoolThread technology servers. Check out this article for more details: http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/060815/sftu103.html?.v=57
Saturday Jul 29, 2006
- Last day at Sun
- Profiling an ANT process
- Community One presentation on zembly architecture
- The Agile Development Process used to create Zembly
- zembly update
- MySQL 5.1 v 5.0
- zembly book is almost ready for release
- How to pass a parameter into an XSLT stylesheet
- Safari Rough Cut release of zembly book