By ChristinaColunga-Oracle on Feb 23, 2016
Big data done right can deliver unprecedented operational and performance insights as well as provide a springboard for true innovation for industries across the board -- from financial services to higher education. As such, making the most of big data is at the forefront of business executives "to-do" lists -- it's one of the areas that our customers ask us about most often.
Like most major enterprise initiatives, there's not a "one size fits all" approach to big data, and success is not always guaranteed. IDC research shows that only about 10% of employees from across organizational levels are fully satisfied with the big data technology resources available to them to support analysis and decision making. At best, this percentage grows to 30% when those "somewhat" satisfied are added into the mix. This leaves 70% of users who are complaining -- either vocally or with their wallets.*
|Initial big data recommendations disregarded the importance of an all-encompassing enterprise infrastructure, data management, and governance strategy. Today, however, as more companies progress in their big data and analytics journeys, it is becoming clear that they need a big data strategy and architecture that promotes incremental deployments, and agility in developing and adopting new technology components.|
In recent years, I've appreciated the opportunity to listen to and learn from many organizations pursuing a big data solution. The IDC White Paper further expands this insight with new context around best practices that include:
- Develop a big data information architecture in the context of the business, application, and technology architectures
- Consider the gamut of big use cases and end-user requirements. Big data is not only about exploring large data sets
- Design a logical architecture distinct from the physical architecture to protect the organization from frequent changes in the emerging technologies -- enabling you to maintain a stable logical architecture in the face of a changing physical architecture
- Transform the information architecture into incremental projects rather than trying a "big bang" approach
- Consider, even at the early stages of evaluating technologies, the full range of both functional and nonfunctional requirements for any future deployment. Adding those requirements later down the road will almost always incur additional costs and delays, another reason why an architecture-led approach is important
Harnessing the power of big data can be a daunting task. But with the right approach -- across people, processes, and technology -- organizations can truly derive real business value from big data -- accelerating innovation, driving optimization, and improving compliance.
*Source: IDC White Paper, sponsored by Oracle, Six Patterns of Big Data and Analytics Adoption: The Importance of the Information Architecture, June 2015