New version of CTI - v1.2
By Ales Cernosek on Oct 19, 2009
Last Friday, October 16th, we released a new version of the CTI tool (ver 1.2).
The new version contains several minor updates and one key feature - building target files. It allows a user to download target files or generate appropriate output that depends on a project type, for example generate a pdf file for a documentation project. You can use this feature primarily for testing purposes. You can see how a final build will look like, you can verify the context (very useful for documentation or help files) and see all translated segments.
The feature is available for each project. You can access it form each task list window - Download button (Fig. 1).
Fig. 1: The build new feature accessible from Task list window (click to enlarge)
If you click on the 'Download' button a new window appears (Fig. 2).
Fig. 2: The build window and its key parts (click to enlarge)
There are a lot of parameters to setup. Let's look at the most important parameters:
- Command - the command executes a pre-defined task. The commands availability depends on a project type and general setup. Typical commands are:
- zip - generates target (or translated) files and packs them into one zip file. This command is usually available for SW messages, like \*.po, \*.properties, ..., etc. You can use this option to test the messages directly in your SW you translate.
- genhtml - generates HTML files from sgml source files (typically for documentation projects or on-line help)
- xpp - generates a PDF file (used for documentation projects)
- More Options - this option is for experts only and you do not need to use it in majority of cases. The most important parameter to mention here is file/segment type that specifies tuning parameters for an output file generation. It is strongly recommended to use a default value 'Semitranslated segments' that ensures all translated segments will be included in the generated file and non-translated segments will be filled in with English (source) segments.
- Run - starts the selected command. For some cases it can take some time (e.g. several minutes) to finish the task and generate a proper output. The process is time expensive for larger tasks (e.g. large or many files in a project) or for difficult tasks (e.g. pdf file generation is more complex than compressing files into zip package). Therefore you can see the progress by using 'Refresh' button and looking at appropriate log files.
- List of Builds - this part shows you all tasks or builds that have already been started or/and have finished.
- Delete - once you downloaded the target files you can delete the build or generated target files. This action does not have any impact to your translation work nor the running CTI projects.
- Delete All Builds - you can use this button if there are several builds available and you want to clean all of them. You delete the generated files, not your translation work.
Note that each project may exist under different licenses. This also applies for the translated files that you generate and download. For example OpenSolaris documentation is under the same license as OpenSolaris English documentation. Check the License notices link for more information.
Moreover this feature is available for testing purposes only and does not intend to serve as a generator of official SW messages or official documentation from Sun Microsystems.