Well, it’s not like your company owns Facebook or Twitter, so the notion you can control and execute social “on-site” was always a non-starter. What you can do is embrace and throw your C-suite weight behind Cloud Social…integrating social relationship management, social data, and social collaboration with other enterprise applications in the Cloud for real-time, actionable insight.
To do this effectively enough to revolutionize your customer experience and make them forever, undyingly loyal to your brand, there must be an overall adoption of Cloud computing and social’s place in it. That’s happening. But is it happening in your organization?
Respondents to a TechInsights Report indicated the cloud is maturing in the enterprise, with IT decision makers achieving better results, faster deployments and lower costs than expected. That was true across Infrastructure as a Service (IaaS), Platform as a Service (PaaS) and Software as a Service (SaaS). Given that, it’s no surprise we see increases in Cloud spending. Those using Cloud for 4+ years are nearly 6x more likely to report increasing cloud spending by over 30% this year. Cloud spending even amongst small to midsized businesses is projected to rise to $95 billion by 2015.
If you’re reaction to that is, “Goodie for them,” it might be time to run down the primary advantages of shifting to the Cloud.
- Cost Savings: more power, speed and storage than you might otherwise be able to afford.
- Ability to Innovate: cited as the top benefit by US respondents. It’s amazing what you can do when time and money are freed up.
- Security: often cited as a concern, it’s actually a plus as cloud providers are often better equipped to guard data. Is your current on-site security flawless?
- Disaster Avoidance: data is automatically backed-up daily and can be restored seamlessly.
- Smarter Resourcing: stats show up to 80% of IT budget are bogged down in routine maintenance. Is that really where you want your money and the time of your CIO/CTO to go?
- Options Aplenty: go with a private cloud, public cloud or hybrid depending on your needs and comfort level. The Cloud can scale as you grow.
- Headache Reduction: fewer worries about updates, maintenance, support, and deployment.
- Mobility: stakeholders can get what they need from the cloud any time, from anywhere, on any device, making collaboration downright modern.
- Green: Using Cloud for storage uses at least 30% less energy than on-site servers.
Arguments against enjoying these kinds of enterprise efficiencies are getting harder to find. And where social is specifically concerned, the socially enabled enterprise is hardly possible without it. That’s a lot of incredibly valuable, freely offered customer data to be left chugging along in the slow, expensive lane.