Phew - driving age limit to stay as it is
By christophersaul on Jan 18, 2010
I'm very relieved to read this.
From where I sit, we need -
- To keep the age limit as it is.
- Have insurance premiums linked to the age and driving record of the driver.
- Proper driving lessons and a tougher test. British friends of mine who have learnt to drive in the UAE tell horror stories about the way they were taught. They often tend to drive appallingly as a result, compared to fellow countrymen who learnt back home. Naturally, the institutions involved are extremely reputable, but it seems some instructors teach how to pass the test, rather than how to drive, in some rare instances.
- Proactive policing on the roads, pulling over bad drivers.
- Road signs telling drivers to keep to the right and other common sense reminders. 'Changing lanes every two seconds during heavy traffic will not get you home more quickly and just makes you look like an idiot', for example. Not very succinct, but possibly quite effective?