An afternoon of entertainment.

Great Friday. Nice ride to work and then breakfast and lunch were good, work mad progress as well then a good ride home, where I out smarted the weather. It was trying to get me to put my waterproofs on so that it could stop raining and I would cook, but I did not fall for it. The rain stopped and I was not wet.

Then on arriving home I had a package from Deeside Cycles. The Ergo levers on my summer bike have not been working and there is a known fault where a bit that holds the ratchet springs breaks. Luckily being Campagnolo spare parts are available so the lever can be repaired. I had emailed them to ask if they could get the parts and the instructions. The could get the parts but not the instructions which cost me this afternoon but I ordered the bits, along with some pedal reflectors for the Campag profit pedals, more on them later.

So today I get to repair the Ergo lever. Once you know how this is easy, the trouble is you have to know how in the first place. Here is how:

First remove the lever from the bars. To do this just remove both the brake and gear cables and undo the allen bolt that is under hood on the top of the lever body.

Have the exploded diagram handy. It is in this pdf from Campagnolo.

The plastic cover, EC-RE124, on the back of the lever body just pulls off to reveal the allen bold that holds the mechanism together. Take a good look as this could be the last time your lever is in one piece, only kidding.

Now you need to pull the brake lever and insert a 5mm allen key into the gap that has now appeared, if you look in you can see the allen bolt inside the body of the lever. Then using a 3mm allen key undo the bolt at the back of the lever body. Disassembly is easy and the springs all release without any concern for the pain they will cause on reassembly.

Reassembly is just the reverse of disassembly. The big difference is that you have to retention the springs, which sounds easy, and once you have done it and know the technique is. However prior to that you need lots of patience and or a choice words. Mine was “bugger” as the springs released, again and I was back to square one.

The trick is to put the 5mm allen key in a vice and stand the whole body on that.




Then assemble EC-RE111, 2 times EC-RE209, EC-RE057 an EC-RE061 into a single assembly prior to fitting into the lever body, it should all be greased. Now put this into the lever body. Make sure that you put EC-RE057 on the right way round or you lever will not be able to shift more than 3 gears and you will spend ages taking the thing apart and putting it back together until you work this out.

Now comes the fun. Put the spring EC-RE008 into EC-RE061 which is now in the lever body. Make sure you have all the rest of the parts on hand and a large screwdriver. Put the washer EC-RE251 onto EC-RE055 as when you need this you will only have one free hand. Then install EC-RE204 in the lever body with the spring, EC-RE008, in the small whole in it and the spring tensioned. You have to apply downward pressure to hold this all in place. I used a screwdriver to keep it in place. Now you only have one hand and one false move will mean the springs will do it's stuff and you can use the word of your choice. What you have to do is insert EC-RE055 through EC-RE204 but don't get it to engage with the end of EC-RE435 as you have to now get the spring EC-RE055 installed on the post of EC-RE111 and into the thinner slot on EC-RE055.

Then keeping the pressure on so as to not let go of the tension in the spring EC-RE215 put the screwdriver into the larger slot in EC-RE055, using that to apply the pressure wind up the spring EC-RE215 until EC-RE055 engages, it needs to go round once to be tight enough. I found once that happened if the spring EC-RE215 was still flat the assembly was stable enough to let go and then install EC-RE149 and the bolt EC-RE307. If you can do this up then you can sit back knowing you will not need your special word again for this. Put the cover back on and replace the hood and reassemble onto the bike. My lever tool almost exactly 1 hour 30 minutes to do, partly as I photographed the whole thing and took notes. However since once I got the thing back together it did not work, so the special word was recalled and I had to do it all again, and again, and again.

So I can now put the thing back together in 15 minutes.

Anyway the bike is now back together awaiting the clocks to go forward when it comes back out.

When I had it apart I did indeed have the broken part and one of the G springs had also broken, but since I have one 14,000 miles on the bike I'm not to miffed about it as I could be repaired. I am now wondering if I should take a look inside the left hand lever.

Comments:

Post a Comment:
Comments are closed for this entry.
About

This is the old blog of Chris Gerhard. It has mostly moved to http://chrisgerhard.wordpress.com

Search

Archives
« July 2014
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
   
       
Today