Essential things everyone should know about email
By chienr on Nov 27, 2007
- Anyone can send Email to anyone pretending to be from anyone else.
- Email is not guaranteed to arrive quickly or at all.
- Your Emails can be read by other people.
- Email wasn't designed to handle large files.
- Any Email that asks you to forward it on to other people is a chain letter, and should be deleted.
- You can't trust any Email from anyone.
- If you put your Email address on the public internet even once, you will forever get spam.
- Never reply to junk mail or scams.
- Emails do not convey emotion and can easily be misunderstood.
I'd like to add a few more:
- Once you click 'send', there's no 'undo'.
- There's no way of knowing if and when the recipient has read your Email.
- The danger with composing HTML Email is that it may not look the same on the recipient's end.