Configuring LDAP on iPhone 3.0
By chienr on Jun 17, 2009
To configure LDAP:
- Go to Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calendars
- Tap "Add Account...", then "Other"
- Under Contacts, "Add LDAP Account"
- Enter account information:
- Server: ldap.company.com
- User Name: [e.g. cn=First Last (employee ID), ou=people, dc=company,dc=com]
- Password: [your password]
- Description: [e.g. book]
- Tap "Next"
Unfortunately, it doesn't work with Sun's book.sun.com. It gives a "Cannot Connect Using SSL" error. A reader already reported that this could be due to lack of ca-cert three months ago so looks like this might be an open iPhone bug.
Come to think of it, this could be an underlying OS X bug. Using the Address Book app in OS X 10.5 configured for book.sun.com, if "Allow self-signed certificates" is checked, lookup works; if it is unchecked, lookup fails, even though book.sun.com has a legitimate chained cert with Versign as CA.
In the meantime, if you want to use LDAPS on iPhone 3.0, the workaround is to buy a third-party app.
[UPDATE Jun 23, 2009] Bug ID# 7000490 filed with Apple.