New! Java Certification Prep with Java SE Programming I MOOC - Includes Certification Voucher + Free Retake!
The steadfast nature of Java as a top programming language makes it a solid investment for learning and certification. Java’s modularity, portability, robust features, security, and simplicity make it a top choice for programmers and developers from teens coding in Minecraft to a developer creating and testing computer programs at a Fortune 500 company.
As a matter of fact, the TIOBE Index still ranks Java as the number 1 programming language as of October 2019.
So how do you capitalize on the popularity of Java and maximize your skills with Oracle training and certification? You can start with this Java SE 11 Learner’s Guide. Read on to get more in depth detail.
Step 1: Identify the Certification Requirements
Oracle recently released Oracle Certified Professional, Java SE 11 Developer (Java SE 11 OCP) certification. The introduction of Java SE 11 continues to revolutionize the way you work in Java. After Java SE 8 added functional programming via lambda expressions and Java 9 introduced modularity, feature wise, Java SE 11 is the first long-term support version to feature modularity. Preparing for this Oracle certification ensures your exposure to and knowledge of all these important new functions and features.
Please refer to the Java SE 11 Learner’s Guide to confirm where you should begin. For all certification requirements view Oracle Certified Professional: Java SE 11 Developer Certification.
Step 2: Review Exam Topics
Earning the Java SE 11 OCP certification requires passing two high-stakes certification exams.
Step 3: Prepare for the Exams
The benefit of preparing for your exam is not only to help you pass the exams and earn the certification; this preparation also helps you to get better at, or qualify for today’s requirements as a Java Developer.
- Take Oracle University Instructor-led Training
- Java SE 11 Programming I recommended for the Programmer I (1Z0-815) exam.
- Java SE 11 Programming II recommended for the Programmer II (1Z0-816) exam.
- These courses are available in three convenient delivery formats depending on your time, location, and learning needs.
- Classroom training (ILT) is an intensive 5-day training in class with an instructor.
- A Live Virtual Class (LVC) allows you to avoid costly travel and time away by taking the live class in real time from anywhere via the internet.
- Training On Demand (TOD) provides 90 days unlimited access to a video course that can be taken anytime and from anywhere and features classroom content delivered by expert instructors.
- Or get affordably priced, all digital content, labs and skill checks including access to instructors with Oracle University Learning Subscriptions
- Java Programming Learning Subscription contains all the training materials you need for the Java 11 Upgrade, Core Java, Java SE 8 and the Enterprise Developer Learning Paths. This comprehensive training subscription contains the Java SE 8 and SE 11 certification exams as well as the Java EE 7 certification exam. Purchase this subscription of you want a broader view of Java training.
- Core Java Learning Subscription provides Java SE 11 training for developers who are new to Java and want to learn the latest technology, and for Java developers who have some experience and want to take advantage of the new features to update their skills. Priced lower than the full Java Programming Learning Subscription. Purchase this subscription if you are new to Java and are focused only on Java SE 11.
- Java 11 Upgrade Learning Subscription is designed for Java SE 8 developers who want to update their skills and knowledge to Java SE 11. This learning subscription includes the certification upgrade exam. (If you are certified on Java SE 6 or Java SE 7, we recommend you consider taking the Core Java Learning Subscription to benefit from comprehensive training and develop in demand knowledge.) Purchase this subscription if you have Java SE 8 Certified Professional certification and want to upgrade to Java SE 11.
- Learning Subscriptions provide you with continually updated digital training for a particular technology area. Subscriptions include 12 months of expert instruction, hands on labs, and certification. Candidates have one attempt for each of the exams included in the subscription at no additional cost, for the duration of the subscription.
- Kaplan IT Training Practice Exams
- Oracle Java SE 11 Programmer I
- Oracle Java SE 11 Programmer II (coming soon)
- Authorized practice exams from Kaplan IT Training help you identify your strengths and weaknesses before you take the exam. Practice tests use realistic exam simulations to help you focus your study and prepare for your exam.
- Java SE 11 Certification Overview and Sample Questions
- Java SE 11 Certification Questions Answered
Step 4: Take and Pass the Certification Exams
- If you choose to not attend training or take advantage of a learning subscription, you can register for your exam directly on the Pearson VUE website. You have two options for this.
- Buy an Exam Voucher and take the test when you’re ready. Purchase an exam voucher now and redeem it within 6 months - it's like a gift card.
- Schedule Your Exam Now. If you are ready to take your exam, schedule it now and pay directly with a credit card, or redeem a voucher you have purchased from Oracle. Either way, you will schedule it through our external testing provider, Pearson VUE.
After the Exam
Within 30 minutes of completing your Oracle Certification exam, you will receive an email from Oracle notifying you that your exam results are available in CertView.
- If you have previously authenticated your CertView account, simply login and select the option to “See My New Exam Result Now.”
- If you have not authenticated your CertView account yet at this point, you will need to proceed with your account authentication.
- Authentication requires an Oracle Single Sign On username and password and the following information from your Pearson VUE profile: email address and Oracle Testing ID.
- You will be taken to CertView to log in once your account has been authenticated.
- Need more help? Refer to this guide.
You are Certified – Now What?
Share your Oracle certified digital badge to your LinkedIn Profile, Facebook Page or Twitter account to validate your professional and technical expertise.
How It Works
- You will receive an email notifying you to claim your badge at our partner Acclaim's website.
- Click the link in that email.
- Create an account on the Acclaim site.
- Claim your badge.
- Start sharing.
You can also select the ‘Insights’ link from your digital badge template and view labor market data and apply directly to all available jobs where your new, validated skills are in demand.
What are you waiting for? Get started!
Related Content: New! Java SE 11 Programmer 1 Certification Exam Prep in Five Weeks