Wednesday Nov 25, 2015
Friday Nov 20, 2015
By evachase-Oracle on Nov 20, 2015
Recently, I had an online conversation with a few Java certified members of one of our LinkedIn groups. The conversation started because Oracle didn’t distribute the new Digital Badges for certifications on retired or expired version releases. It was playfully suggested that this was a ‘marketing scam’. I cringed at first; because it could be perceived as a scam. But the reality is, outdated certifications don’t hold that much value.
Technology is changing. The world is different than it was in 2005 and our jobs have evolved to adapt to these changes. Java has changed. “Java 8 was released on 18 March 2014” according to Wikipedia. Before we know it, it will be 2 full years since Java 8 was released! If you're interested in reading more on the version history of Java, you can find it here.
I Google'd Java Skills in Demand 2015 and wasn’t surprised to see what was returned. We already know the demand is high for java programming skills. One of the links though stood out for me. I really liked what Katie Bouwkamp said in The Most In Demand Programming Languages 2015 “…it’s important to be well-versed in a number of programming languages so you can be versatile and adaptable – and then continue to learn/master languages throughout your career.”
You can make certain you continue to learn and master your skill by keeping your certification current. If you hold an out-of-date certification (Java SE7, SE6 or older) upgrade now with one exam to SE8.
- 1Z0-810 Upgrade to Java SE8 OCP from SE7
- 1Z0-813 Upgrade to Java SE8 OCP from SE6 and Previous
We believe in the importance of continuing to learn and master. Do you?
Order before December 31st to receive a 20% discount on your exam. Learn more at Java20.
Friday Nov 13, 2015
By evachase-Oracle on Nov 13, 2015
I recently came across an article that caught my eye After a long slump, IT certification pay bounces back by Robert Gates. Pay and certification are two topics that are dear to my heart so I read on. The article looks into the value of non-certified skills vs. certified skills. “The value of non-certified skills went up nearly 4% in the past year compared to 10% for certified skills, according to a survey of pay rates for about 200,000 jobs across 2,800 employers by Foote Partners, LLC in Vero Beach, Fla.”
Why is IT Certification value going up? According to David Foote co-founder and analyst, Foote Partners LLC “It means the certifications are getting a little more respect. Clearly, the market has a much different view of certified skills versus non-certified skills.”
Why should this topic be important to you? Here’s a couple of highlights:
- "IT certification pay has rebounded after slumping for years, as non-certified skills, such as expertise with operating systems and databases, continue to grow.”
- "The list of 378 certified skills in Foote's survey remains dominated by large vendors, including Cisco, Cloudera Inc., EMC, Oracle, Red Hat Inc. and VMware.”
What does an Oracle certification provide you with in regards to certified skills? Oracle is an industry leader. Whether your skills and experience lie in database or java the market demand is high. We have training and exams that you can build on.
- Our core certification program structure starts with the Oracle Certified Associate credential that shows you have fundamental skills and a strong foundation.
- The next step is Oracle Certified Professional that builds on this foundation to measure a deeper more specific possession of skill.
- Then we have the Oracle Certified Master certification which validates you demonstrate these skills and can do the required tasks.
Wednesday Nov 11, 2015
By Brandye Barrington-Oracle on Nov 11, 2015
The Java SE 5 and EE 5 exams and credentials listed below retire on March 1, 2016. If you have been planning to earn one of these credentials do it now. A better option may be to consider the more current credential listed in the 'New Versions' column below.
Schedule your exams well before the retirement date to allow for an exam retake if one is needed. The 14-day retake policy will be enforced.
Newer Versions of Retiring Exams
|1Z0-810 Upgrade Java SE 7 to Java SE 8 OCP Programmer or
1Z0-813 Upgrade to Java SE 8 OCP ( Java SE 6 and all prior versions)
|1Z0-897 Java EE 6 Web Services Developer Certified Expert|
|1Z0-807 Java EE 6 Enterprise Architect Certified Master|
Newer Versions of Retiring Credentials
| Oracle Certified Master, Java EE 6 Enterprise Architect
Monday Nov 02, 2015
By evachase-Oracle on Nov 02, 2015
Oracle Open World for 2015 may have come to a close, but our announcement during this years conference is just the beginning.
We now have Cloud certification exams that align to the new Oracle Cloud Learning Subscriptions.
Start with training designed to fit your schedule. Practice in the safe hands-on lab environment. Learn how to confidently extend your current skills into the Cloud. Add a new Oracle Certified Professional credential that proves you have the skills to administer and deploy in the cloud.
We think that's pretty exciting news.
Friday Oct 23, 2015
By evachase-Oracle on Oct 23, 2015
Why do we think the new digital badge will be important to you? According to LinkedIn, those with certification receive 6x more LinkedIn profile views. Add your new digital badge with its easily verifiable summary of skills and we think that's pretty powerful.
You can display your new digital badge on popular social media sites as you wish. It’s free to you as a benefit of being Oracle certified, it’s pretty painless to begin using, and it eliminates the possibility of any fraudulent certification claims. If you're not Oracle certified you will not be able to use it.
Did you receive a new digital badge?
We’d like to hear how your experience has been. Do you think your new digital badge is great?
Thursday Oct 22, 2015
By Sheryl Domingue-Oracle on Oct 22, 2015
Training: It’s not too late to register for a Database Exam Cram or
Java Exam Cram on Sunday, October 25th at Golden Gate University. View
the session details and register here: Oracle University, or Java University. A Kaplan Selftest representative will be on-site. Ask about practice exams and conference offers.
Session: Join Simon Roberts, President of Dancing Cloud Services for
Java SE 8: Keeping Pace with the Technology on Tuesday, October 27th,
7:00p.m. @ Hilton—Continental Ballroom 4. [BOF10064].
- Exclusive Offer: Add a $100 exam voucher to your registration package or purchase at the conference. See details on the Oracle OpenWorld and JavaOne registration page.
- Ask Oracle Certification experts about new exams, digital badging, conference offers, and more!
Selftest will be on-site at the OTN Community Café in the Java Hub,
Monday, October 26th and Tuesday, October 27th starting at 2:00pm.
- Ask us about Oracle Press conference offers. Here are a few sample chapters to check out now!
- OCA/OCP Oracle Database 12c All-in-One Exam Guide by Bob Bryla, John Watson, Roopesh Ramklass
- OCP Oracle Database 12c Advanced Administration Exam Guide by Bob Bryla
- Oracle Database 12c DBA Handbook by Bob Bryla
- OCA Java SE 8 Programmer I Study Guide by Edward Finegan, Robert Liguori
- Raspberry Pi with Java: Programming the Internet of Things (IoT) by James Weaver, Stephen Chin
Official blog of the Oracle Certification Program
- Pearson VUE Data Breach – No Impact on Oracle Certification Program
- Is Out of Date Really Out of Luck?
- Is Higher Pay Worth Getting Oracle Certified?
- Complete Your Java 5 Certification Before it Retires March 2016
- Expand Your Certification To The Cloud
- What’s So Great About Your New Digital Badge?
- Oracle Certification at Oracle OpenWorld and JavaOne, San Francisco
- ACTION REQUIRED: Final Reminder to Keep Your Certification Active
- What's New With Oracle Certification - October 2015
- Save 35% on Your Oracle Database Certification Upgrade