How to get the most from an Oracle internship?
By FelixWehmeyer on May 29, 2012
Do you know how many people work within Oracle? More than 100.000! It’s quite a huge company and being an Intern among all these people might seem a small thing. I would say that it’s a great opportunity to learn, experience new and important things for your development. When you are part of a corporation you want to give your best and let them see you want to stay even after your internship ends. Do you agree with me?
My name is Andreea and I am an Intern within the Oracle SSC Admin Team. When I joined the company, the corporate environment had a great impact on me as I didn’t know what to expect of this experience. I was suddenly part of a professional team, learning, working and willing to prove they made the right choice. There are 6 other interns that started at the same time as I did, which made the situation more comfortable for me. If you think of yourself, what would you do if you were an Intern? You would probably do the same as us. We’ve tried to do our best in learning and assimilating as much as we could from this new experience.
Working in a big team brings many good things, such as improving your soft skills, receiving support in your daily activity or making new friends. All these aspects make the experience absolutely worthy. I never thought before I would find myself going to work this enthusiastic! I wake up every day willing to go to work where I find people of my age, where I find a great environment for both professional and personal development. This team spirit amazed me from the first day and it’s still a big motivational aspect for me. One other great thing is the opportunity of working with many different nationalities. It is said that every culture is different, but when you are actually interacting with a lot of people from all over the globe every day, you realize that the language boundaries are insignificant. You can always find a common ground even though you’re working with people from all over EMEA region (Europe, Middle East and Africa).
Overall, there are some tips and tricks I’ve learned for getting the most from an internship:
- Try getting along with your colleagues and join their discussions and events. You’ll see it’s a great way to make new friends.
- Learn as much as you can! The great advantage of being an Intern is that you actually are here for learning and people will be willing to help you and support you in your daily activity.
- Permanently ask for feedback. It’s a very good way of improving your skills and for finding out if you’re on the right path. You could also take into consideration that your manager will appreciate it as he or she will see you are interested in developing your skills and making the right decisions.
- Get involved in the social events organized by the company or by the team you are part of. It will help you become part of the community, know more people and will make other see you have a role in the team’s dynamics.
- Take initiative and expose your idea! Companies like Oracle value employees that have initiative, that come up with new ideas and try to improve the processes or the projects. It will definitely make others see that you care about your work place, about your daily activities and that you want do make things better.
- Keep up with the positive attitude and your enthusiasm! Did you know that one of the reasons why employers choose students and graduates is that they bring enthusiasm and some freshness in their team? You’ll be appreciated if you think positively and show them you actually enjoy the time you spend at work.
I think I could summarize my experience what I’ve experienced within Oracle so far in two words: professionalism and dedication. I am planning to enjoy my work here as much as I can!
Do you want to find out more about our job opportunities? Follow us on http://campus.oracle.com.