Dtrace Once Again Saves the Day

I am in the process of setting up a back up source control server for the OpenSolaris infrastructure.  Unfortunately, the last time this was done was quite awhile ago, it isn't very well documented, and everyone who did that in the past is gone or doesn't really remember the details.  So I setup the server but there was an elusive bug with the new server.  I spent hours going through the configuration and source code to see what was different between the new server and the current server.  I had no luck and started to get frustrated.

I decided to take a look at the problem from a different perspective.  I got out my "Solaris Performance and Tools" book to get some ideas.  It is a great book that I highly recommend that has saved my behind on several occasions.  Brendan Gregg has this DTrace one liner:

dtrace -n 'proc:::exec-success { trace(curpsinfo->pr_psargs); }'

This little one liner showed the problem right away since it showed me that one of the arguements of a process was pointing to a non-existing file.  So it ended up being a bug in the source control server package that was missing a lib file, not a confiration problem like I thought at first.

I think next time I'll try DTrace sooner!  It might be a little earlier to start a New Year's resolution but I am also planning on resolving to get better with DTrace.  I am convinced it will save me time in the long run.


  


Comments:

Post a Comment:
  • HTML Syntax: NOT allowed
About

Bill Rushmore III

Search

Top Tags
Archives
« April 2014
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
  
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
   
       
Today