Science and Alaskan north slope oil

I hesitate to bring up politics in my blog. I encounter enough politics whenever I speak with an American accent an Irish pub and I encounter enough controversy over whether GNU or CDDL is better or whether bash should be the default shell in Solaris or whether there is a property bubble.

But I'm most tempted to express my views when politicians or lobbiests take advantage of scientific and technical illiteracy. A good example is oil drilling in the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge (ANWR). A budget bill supporting this is ready to pass in the next couple of days. What bothers me about this is the way it is being sold.

From ABC news:

"Drilling supporters, including President Bush, who has made opening the refuge a top energy priority, argued that the country needs the estimated 10.5 billion barrels of oil that lies beneath the coastal plain. The oil represents a key to improving the country's energy security, they said."

Bush's estimate of 10.5 billion barrels is actually slightly less optimistic than the DOE's most wildly optimistic estimates of 16 billion barrels with a 95% probablity that there is less than this. 16 billion barrels of oil sounds impressive, doesn't it? Drill away, right? The problem is that the U.S. currently use over 7 billion barrels/year. (Here's a cool website which lets you explore the oil consumption data.)

ANWR would run dry in little over 2 years. But we can't possibly pull it out of the ground that fast. DOE's estimate of peak ANWR production is 1.55 million barrels per day. During the peak of an ANWAR 'gusher', it would only produce 7% of U.S. daily needs. The other 93% would have to come from elsewhere.

Those in the oil industry must know that we can't drill our way out of energy dependence, so why are they selling ANWR as a panacea? I could almost believe claims that the oil could be extracted without another Exxon Valdez were it not for this attempt to fool the public.

A basic level of science literacy should be taught in the schools so that the majority of the population can understand that conservation is a crucial part of any viable energy policy.

Comments:

Brian, Imagine, an historic U.S. company soon offering innovative, non-hybrid, transportation vehicles retailed by a new 'eco-friendly' dealer network. 'Something wonderful' is in the works ... Alaska is for nature NOT 'oil' barons!

Posted by William R. Walling on November 04, 2005 at 09:23 PM GMT+00:00 #

What about this as a potential solution! http://www.canadiandriver.com/articles/pw/05smartcabriolet.htm

Posted by Ron on November 05, 2005 at 04:00 AM GMT+00:00 #

Ron, There are quite a few smart cars on the road here. But there are also quite a few of these also and sadly, they aren't necessarly under the control of their drivers. A GPS and Radar based cruise control system could help with traffic management and fuel economy. It could also improve safety for pedestrians, cyclists, motorcyclists and those who choose small cars.

Posted by bnitz on November 07, 2005 at 07:54 AM GMT+00:00 #

Post a Comment:
  • HTML Syntax: NOT allowed
About

bnitz

Search

Archives
« April 2014
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
    
       
Today