libumem traces an evince leak to libz/zlib, is the bug in your dist?

Someone at Sun noticed that the evince process on a recent Solaris Express build consumes a huge amount of memory when it loaded a particular pdf document from IBM. pmap -x showed that it was definitely heap space and that it grew over time. A big leak! I logged the bug in bugzilla because it didn't seem to be specific to Solaris. I used a couple of malloc dtrace scripts but the libumem technique on Adam Leventhal's blog turned out to be the easiest way to track the source of the leak to libz. This build of Solaris was using zlib 1.1.4. When I built zlib 1.2.3 and ran evince with that library, the problem disappeared and performance improved significantly.

For some reason, Adobe still seem to reluctant to recompile and release acroread on Solaris X86. Maybe if enough people ask nicely here, they will do this. But its reassuring to know that the alternative opensource pdf viewer 'evince' continues to improve. It looks like pdf form support is coming soon, thanks to the google summer of code project.

Comments:

Post a Comment:
Comments are closed for this entry.
About

bnitz

Search

Archives
« April 2014
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
    
       
Today