Making Linux and Windows Installation Easy on Sun x64 servers
By blueprints on Aug 13, 2008
Pierre Reynes, Systems Technical Marketing
The Sun Fire x64 servers come pre-installed with Solaris 10. However, that does not mean that Linux and Windows users have to deploy their OS the hard way. Sun provides a free tool making OS installation simple and easy. Still installing your Linux/Windows OS the old way? Downloading drivers manually? Using a floppy drive??? Well, here is the good news: It is called SIA!
The Sun Installation Assistant (SIA) is a bootable CD with a graphical interface that simplifies system deployment for x64 Sun Fire and Sun Blade servers. SIA provides a step by step installation wizard for Linux and Windows. It automatically recognizes the hardware platform that it is running on and offers a list of supported SLES/RHEL Linux and Windows Operating Systems to choose from. Since it does not include any OS image, the user must provide the OS media and a valid license. SIA contains and automatically installs the drivers for the detected devices and supported option cards. It can also update itself and download the latest drivers by connecting with Sun. Finally, to make sure that the system is ready for production, SIA can also upgrade the ILOM Service Processor and the system BIOS.
If you are not using SIA and still installing Linux/Windows the hard way, go to your system download page on Sun.com, download the SIA iso image and let SIA do the work for you. Direct links to the download pages are also provided on
the SIA main page on Sun.com: http://www.sun.com/systemmanagement/sia.jsp
Main Installation Steps using SIA
- Insert the SIA CD in the system and boot from CD.
- If no physical CD in the system, SIA can also be used either over the Service Processor (or CMM with Sun Blade modules) remote KVMS feature, or from a USB Flash drive, or over the network using PXE Boot.
- If the system is connected to a network with active Internet gateway, check for latest updates with Remote Update.
- Insert the OS to be installed and provide information necessary to regular OS installation (i.e. License key, password, hostname, etc...)
- Complete the normal OS installation process
Sun x64 Systems currently supported by SIA
AMD based rackmount servers:
- Sun Fire V20z Server
- Sun Fire V40z Server
- Sun Fire X4100 Server
- Sun Fire X4100 M2 Server
- Sun Fire X4200 Server
- Sun Fire X4200 M2 Server
- Sun Fire X4140 Server
- Sun Fire X4240 Server
- Sun Fire X4440 Server
- Sun Fire X4500 Server
- Sun Fire X4600 Server
- Sun Fire X4600 M2 Server
- Sun Fire X4150 Server
- Sun Fire X4450 Server
- Sun Blade X6220 Server Module
- Sun Blade X8400 Server Module
- Sun Blade X8420 Server Module
- Sun Blade X8440 Server Module
- Sun Blade X6450 Server Module
- Sun Blade X8450 Server Module