OpenSolaris 2008.11 is out - try it!
By blogfinger on Dec 10, 2008
Who? Everyone that needs a robust and secure operating system with some really unique features and a growing community. For example: for safe web surfing without having to install a virus scanner, for creating office documents, for building a flexible multimedia file server or for programming.
Where to download? http://www.opensolaris.org/os/downloads/. On the right, under "Quick Download Links", click on OpenSolaris 2008.11 to download the image. You can then burn a bootable CD from it, install it on your internal or external hard disk or on a USB stick, or use it as a bootable image in VirtualBox.
- The OpenSolaris 2008.11 launch page
- The OpenSolaris 2008.11 release notes
- The OpenSolaris 2008.11 User Interface specifications
- What's new in OpenSolaris 2008.11 overview on gnome.org
- A review on ars technica
- OpenSolaris on DistroWatch
- Short article on Heise Open UK
- Short article on Softpedia
- Short article about Time Slider
- Erwann's screencast about Time Slider
- How to set up an OpenSolaris 2008.11 based file server (German language)
- How to build a NAS file server with OpenSolaris 2008.11 on an Intel D945GCLF2 motherboard with Sil3124 PCI-to-4 SATA controller (Chinese language)
- Instructions for a 280 MB only OpenSolaris 2008.11 installation
- The Milax distribution (currently based on nv 95) - boots and runs on a 128 MB RAM system
- How to create a bootable OpenSolaris 2008.11 installation USB stick from an OpenSolaris 2008.11 ISO image
- Live Upgrading from Nevada to OpenSolaris
- How to activate Compiz in OpenSolaris
- OpenSolaris on an Eee PC
- The OpenSolaris Bible, available early next year