Back in the day Sun was all about SunOS on SPARC.
The OS was optimized for the hardware and the hardware was designed to take advantage of the OS. If you wanted something else, you went somewhere else.
After a stuttering start, things changed, and the partnership between Intel and Solaris has been riding the updrafts for several years, now.
Here's the latest...
by Mike Mulkey
A technical guide for developers and sysadmins that explains how to use the capabilities of Solaris to optimize the scalability, performance, reliability, security, power efficiency, and virtualization of applications running on Intel's Xeon processor family (5600 and 7500 series).
A lot of work went into this paper, and it shows. It takes each major Solaris capability and describes how it has been optimized. For example ...
- How Solaris enhances Intel multicore processor capabilities—up to 8 processor sockets, each with up to 8 cores and 2 threads per core—as well as Intel Hyper-Threading, QuickPath, and Turbo Boost technologies.
- How Solaris Fault Management Architecture (FMA) integrates with the Intel Machine Check Architecture (MCA) Recovery features, enabling systems to automatically monitor, report, and recover from hardware errors to maintain data integrity and keep missioncritical applications and services online.
- How Solaris takes advantage of the dynamic power management capabilities of the Intel processors.
- How Solaris takes advantage of the latest Intel Virtualization Technology (Intel VT) features and enables the highest consolidation ratios.
- The Oracle Solaris Ecosystem
- Intel Xeon Processor 5600 and 7500 series
- Oracle Integration
Automated Energy Efficiency
- Memory Placement Optimization (MPO)
- Intel Turbo Boost
- Power Aware Dispatcher
- Power Budgets and Power Capping
- Always Running APIC Timer
- Oracle Solaris FMA for Intel Xeon Processors
Developer Tools Optimizations
Oracle Solaris Studio
- Intel Virtualization Technology (Intel VT)
- Oracle Solaris Virtualization Capabilities
- Oracle VM VirtualBox
It's a great read.