My Experience Posting Content to the BigAdmin Wiki
By Rick Ramsey on Sep 17, 2007
Recently, I tried posting content to the new BigAdmin wiki. This was my first try at posting to a wiki, so I wasn't sure what I was in for or how it'd go. Turns out it was easy. Here's what I did.
- Since I wanted to post content to an existing page, I used the procedure called "How to Add Content to an Existing Page" on the BigAdmin wiki main page. It said the first step was to register.
- So, I clicked the "Register" link, which took me to the Registration page.
- I already had a Sun Online account, so I read the section "Partners and Sun Online Account Holders," which said my Sun Online Account user name and password grants me access to the wiki, and I didn't need to register.
- So, I clicked "Logging In," which took me to the Logging In page.
- As instructed under the "Partners and Sun Online Account Holders" section, I clicked Log In (upper right corner of page). Then on the resulting page, I entered my Sun Online Account user name and password, and I clicked Log In.
- I was asked to enter a screen name, which I did. Then I was taken to the BigAdmin wiki's Welcome page, which showed my screen name.
- Good sign...maybe this was going to be easy. So I took a break. I came back later and continued where I'd left off....
- I navigated to the BigAdmin wiki home page and looked at the instructions in the "How to Add Content to an Existing Page" section.
- I had just registered, so I skipped step 1 and logged in (step 2).
- I skipped steps 3 through 5 about reading the user guide and practicing in the sandbox. (Typical user, right?)
- As instructed in step 6, I clicked the "instructions" link.
- In the resulting "Editing an Existing Page," as instructed, I navigated to the page I wanted to add content to and clicked the Edit
This brought up the edit screen in the Wiki Markup or the Rich Text mode (can't remember which).
- The previous instructions had said to make changes to the content or add new content and to click the tabs to switch between 'Rich Text' and 'Wiki Markup' edit modes.
At first, I wasn't really sure how I was supposed to add the new content (with markup? plain text?). I decided to see whether I could just type some plain text into the body of the page.
I could, so I typed my content and went back and forth between the Rich Text and Wiki Markup tabs to see how it looked (I wasn't really sure what I was looking for or what the point was, but I was curious.)
- When I was done adding my content, I clicked Preview to see how my text would look, and then I clicked Save.
And there was my content on the page.
All in all, it was a pretty easy process.
- Feeling emboldened, I decided I should link to the content I added from one of the other related wiki pages. So, I navigated to the related page.
- But then I realized I didn't know what to do next. So I opened a second browser, and navigated to the BigAdmin wiki home page, to see if I could find any info there. I didn't see any instructions there for how to link two wiki pages, so I was stumped. Maybe I should have read the user guide after all...