By Takin Babaei-Oracle on Apr 25, 2016
Oracle Big Data Discovery offers a new approach for turning big data into commercial value, fast. BDD makes exploring big data as easy as shopping online, allowing ordinary analysts to find, improve, analyze, and share data without needing the technical skills of a data scientist. No other big data solution in the industry today covers the complete analytics lifecycle in a single product or makes it as quick and easy to stand up a fully functional data lab.
BDD 1.2 takes on the biggest problem in big data: harnessing the knowledge and skills of business analysts to solve unprecedented problems with new data. This release features major new functionality all across the product, along with hundreds of performance improvements that make the platform faster and more reliable than ever.
· Wrangle + Reshape: Big Data Discovery 1.2 adds support for aggregation and join transformations, allowing users to group and blend data of any size interactively using Spark. Combining open source innovation with Oracle engineering, BDD provides an easy-to-use visual interface that guides users through these essential data shaping tasks—allowing analysts to sculpt new datasets to power new analytics, without the need for IT’s technical skills.
· Curate + Locate: Big data is messy data. Making data usable involves not just cleaning the data itself, but also cleaning its metadata—giving clear names and descriptions so that analysts can understand what it all means. With BDD 1.2, data stewards can do exactly that. A deeper Catalog reaches down into attribute names, descriptions, tags, and (new in BDD 1.2) semantic types to making finding relevant data easier than ever. Taken together, these new capabilities allow customers to quickly transform their scattered data assets into an organized, navigable data lake for analysts.
· BDD + Python: Customers no longer have to choose between the ease of use of an integrated visual experience and the freedom of custom code—with BDD 1.2, they can have both. BDD 1.2 offers a new shell mode that allows data scientists to pick up any dataset in the Catalog for custom processing in Python. From here, ingenuity is the limit: data scientists can develop custom transformations, apply advanced algorithms, and perform predictive analysis with the tools they know best. This integration provides the best of both worlds: a shared, analyst-friendly environment for reusable, collaborative data exploration, preparation, and visualization (BDD) plus a dedicated environment for advanced, narrowly tailored processing.
· Streamline + Share. Most big data tools optimize for technical specialists--and they end up freezing out organizations’ most potentially powerful assets: their established teams of business analysts. BDD 1.2 tackles the problem of large-scale collaboration head on, by streamlining the visual data exploration and data transformation experience and by building a notification framework to keep all users on top of what’s going on. Combined with the enhanced data shaping and data curation capabilities, these enhancements open up the data lake to more than just data scientists.
· Speed + Scale. A combination of open-source maturation and Oracle engineering makes 1.2 the fastest, most scalable BDD yet. Users can acquire and transform data significantly faster than in BDD 1.1 and at significantly higher scale and concurrency. BDD 1.2 also includes the ability to store Dgraph indexes in HDFS, eliminating the need for shared NFS and providing a native, high-performance option for in-cluster deployments.
These are just the highlights—check out BDD 1.2 for yourself to see Oracle’s strategic solution for giving organizations a competitive advantage through big data analytics.