logbook entry #1 - background
By barts on Jun 17, 2004
I'm an engineer in the Solaris kernel group. I've been at Sun some 15+ years, working on a wide variety of projects including:
- Helping out on the amd64 Solaris port - getting Solaris running on Opteron.
- Speeding up Solaris by leading the Small Systems Performance group
- Adding support for NUMA machines to Solaris
- IOAdmin (the orignal metadisk)
- OpenWindows and CDE performance
- OS performance (where I wrote the nscd)
- co-authored "Programming with Threads" with Steve Kleiman and Devang Shah
- Solaris Clustering (doing mostly gatekeeping)
- gotten a couple of software patents along the way dealing with function reordering and database preemption control
- and last if not least, helped port Doom and Quake to Solaris & sparc.