By barton808 on May 13, 2008
Last week, on the first day of JavaOne, I was serendipitously able to grab Tom Fitzsimmons, (the owner of Iced Tea) Patrick Macdonald (Tom's boss) and Karsten Wade (community contact for OpenJDK) from Red Hat for a podcast. We sat down and talked about the journey to get OpenJDK into Fedora that began in earnest last JavaOne.
Patrick, Tom (kneeling) and Karsten -- helping to put the "Open" in Java.
Some of the topics we tackle:
- Attacking the "remaining 4%" to get OpenJDK into Fedora ASAP (leveraging GNUClasspath components)
- FOSDEM 2007 -- building bridges with the Sun crew
- Trademark issues and the birth of "IcedTea"(Fitz really did go back to his hotel room and hack rpms last JavaOne after OpenJDK was announced)
- IcedTea -> OpenJDK in Fedora 9.
- OpenJDK now available for RHEL5 and CentOS5 via EPEL and getting it ready to being moved into RHEL5 proper
- NetBeans coming soon to a Fedora 9 update