By barton808 on Aug 04, 2008
At OSCON I was able to assemble three of the Open Solaris folks to hear about what had been going on since their launch back at CommunityOne. I corralled OGB board members Glynn Foster and Stephen "I don't work at Sun anymore" Lau as well as, package-meister, David Comay.
(If you are interested in seeing what the interview looked like, check out Stephen's pics that he took realtime.)
Glynn, David and Stephen: We are family, I got my brothers with me.
Some of the topics we tackle:
- Whats coming in the next release (OpenSolaris 8.11) due in November
- Building up the repository. Pushing packages every two weeks. Looking to set up a repo for "encumbered-ware."
- IPS and its integration with ZFS.
- The challenges the OGB is focusing on: scaling and getting projects and communities the resources they need.
- When we might see a Long Term Support version of OpenSolaris.
- Intel's contribution to the kernel
- Using Virtual Box to install OpenSolaris on Macs and Windows.