Talking with Zmanda's CEO, Chander Kant
By barton808 on Jul 11, 2008
I had previously met Chander at the MySQL conference where they were named a partner of the year, but we didn't get a chance to talk much. It was pretty cool to hear about how he originally identified the opportunity for Zmanda and then built a business around it.
Some of the topics we tackle:
- How Zmanda was founded around the Amanda project, and how Chander realized there was a business to be built around it.
- How Zmanda's subscription-based model works and how they offer both community and enterprise editions
- The OS's they support including the wide range of distros
- Working with Amazon in the S3 cloud for the past 18 mos.
- GPLv2 and the watchful eye Chander is keeping on v3
- How to get involved in the community
- What the future holds (hint: some of it involves an announcement re. Oracle, better ZFS integration and much more)