Talking to Stephan Hahn and David Comay of OpenSolaris
By barton808 on May 09, 2008
Stephen and David toast the launch with their expensive crystal glasses at the OpenSolaris install fest at CommunityOne.
Some of the topics we tackle:
- How to balance attracting new developers with making sure we keep the customers and developers who've traditionally been using Solaris.
- Where we've borrowed from and what we've borrowed.
- Stephen drills down on the Image Packaging System (IPS) and explains why we decided to roll our own.
- How IPS compares to apt-get.
- The easy conversion of system V packages to IPS.
- Where OpenSolaris is heading over the next year