Sprekken with Dalibor Topic, Java Freedom Fighter
By barton808 on Nov 13, 2007
Dalibor has been a tireless champion for Free Java and has been instrumental in bringing several Java technology-oriented free software projects together such as GNU Classpath, Kaffe and GNU Compiler for Java. Over the years, Dalibor has gone from Sun critic to supporter and, as of last JavaOne, he has been a member of the OpenJDK interim governance board.
A little secret, Dalibor really is as friendly as he looks.
(Sorry, I couldn't resist the bad pun.) The areas that we cover include the following:
- The OpenJDK governance board: who's on it, where are they from and what are they working on in this "bootstrap" phase.
- What are Dalibor's goals and vision for the OpenJDK community.
- Why Simon and his blog are to blame.
- What is "Iced Tea" and what are its goals.
- What are Dalibor's thoughts and impressions of Sun's Summit?
More on Free Java's first anniversary
If you want to know whats been happening in the world of Free Java over the last year, check out Rich Sands' chronology that he posted yesterday. The detailed JavaME perspective can be found in Terrence Barr's blog and for a personal "trip" through Free Java, check out Tom Marble's entry from earlier today (the Duke Hendrix album cover itself is worth the click).
The intent of this group is to discuss porting of OpenJDK to different
platforms, and support projects undertaking such efforts. It will help
to integrate different porting projects into OpenJDK. Topics for
- Ports to new architectures
- Ports to new operating systems
- Collaboration with other OpenJDK porting projects
This group will have one mailing list. It is open to everyone.
Pau for now...