Live from Austin!
By barton808 on Feb 22, 2007
Well I made it! After a short 1,700 mile drive from San Jose, I rolled into Austin Texas last Friday night as the sun was setting. The drive was fantastic. I did it in three days and two nights, staying overnight at the lovely Motel 6 in Blythe California, and the next in some small town, I cant remember the name of about 60 miles outside El Paso.
Here are some observations:
- Mid Feb is a great time to travel, traffic was light, the temperature was between 50-60 degrees and very few bugs were around to adorn my windshield.
- The least scenic part of the drive is I5 down central California.
- The most scenic was Arizona.
- El Paso is huge! who knew! I cruised through it at night and I thought I was passing through LA. (Its even in a different time zone than the rest of Texas).
- West Texas beyond El Paso is no man's land. No cell phone reception and when you hit "seek" on your radio it keeps doing laps around the dial.
- I drove on two different "Pearl Harbor Memorial Highways" (one in Arizona and one in Texas) and one "Sonny Bono Memorial Highway" (which was actually the same highway as one of the Pearl Harbor highways, just in a different state).
- Parting advice: dont try to leave LA at 5:00PM heading for San Bernardino if you need to be anywhere in a hurry.
This weekend I travel back to the coast, this time by plane, to fetch the family. I havent seen my wife and kids in almost two weeks and Im very excited to see them tomorrow night. Well thats enough for now...I have to get home and unpack some more of the 140+ boxes of stuff that was delivered yesterday.
Pau for now...