My Interview with Red Hat CEO Jim Whitehurst
By barton808 on Jun 26, 2008
Instead of making up some plausible excuse, he was very receptive and gave me his card. He also gave me his cell number and told me to give him a call the following day to set something up.
When we got together I was very impressed with how approachable and down to earth Jim was as well as his excitement and enthusiasm for his job. Take a listen...
Some of the topics we tackle:
- How Jim heard about the opportunity at Red Hat
- Jim's programming background and his work at Delta as COO
- Matt Szulik is the visionary, Jim's emphasis is on execution and "focus, focus, focus"
- Red Hat is "all in" when it comes to open source and how their last non-free offering (RHN satellite) went free that day.
- Proprietary software isn't wrong, open source is simply a better model (that being said, he'd love to see IBM open source DB2)
- His conversation with Jonathan Schwartz and the challenge that Jonathan faces
- Reaching out to other open source players and taking them to dinner
- What are Jim's biggest opportunities and challenges
- Jim's key areas of focus for Red Hat (a couple of which are virtualization and making sure Linux is "cloud ready")