DGilmore on the Fedora SPARC port
By barton808 on Jul 16, 2008
Continuing in my series of podcasts from the Red Hat Summit and FUDCon, here is an interview with Dennis Gilmore the soft spoken ex-Aussie and key member of the Aurora SPARC Linux project. Dennis is a Fedora community member but, as I found out, doesn't work for Red Hat but instead is employed by One Laptop Per Child.
Former Aussie and current Cubbies fan.
Some of the topics we tackle:
- Fedora and its quest to support SPARC
- Making it so OpenJDK can run on SPARC -- How thanks to the hard work of Dennis and others, OpenJDK for SPARC 32 and 64 patches have been sent up stream and accepted so all flavors of GNU/linux can benefit.
- The packages are now available on the Aurora mirrors.
- How Aurora rose like a majestic phoenix from the ashes of the former official Red Hat SPARC port
- Dennis' passion for obscure Hardware and the mini-home datacenter in his basement
- How Dennis got involved in the world of Fedora and SPARC