By Avinash Joshi on Sep 12, 2008
Partitioning your hard disk using GParted
GParted is THE BEST Gnome Partition Editor application. Before attempting to use it, here is some basic background information.
Let me give you a brief insight as to why it is the best partition manager:
- It is a GNOME based partition editor
- It is OpenSource
- It is based on Debian
- The size is just 95MB!!
- Since it is OpenSource, it is free to download and use
- The images and files are hosted on sourceforge
- It has a Live CD Option. i.e., you can boot with the GParted CD and do the partitioning without even having to install the software unlike any other partition manager
- You can create, destroy, resize, move, check and copy partitions, and the file systems on them.
- This is useful for creating space for new operating systems, reorganizing disk usage, copying data residing on hard disks and mirroring one partition with another (disk imaging).
- GParted uses GNU libparted to detect and manipulate devices and partition tables.
- It just ROCKS!!!!!