Integrating an Ultra20M2
By avalon on Mar 22, 2007
I decided to try integrate a Sun Ultra20M2 into my home network...my experiences have been somewhat varied over the course of this week, ranging from:
- CPU fan wanted to continuously run at 4500RPM, all the time. This appeared to be solved by reloading the BIOS config from the "boot device" screen. Why, I don't know.
- Doing "Save changes and reset" from the BIOS often seems to not reset the system properly. Doing a
rebootwhile running Solaris seems to be equally as effective (screen goes black but is never reset properly.) Bug ID# 6539609
- With only 512MB of RAM installed, you cannot install Solaris 10 Update 3 from a DVD using the GUI installer, regardless of the recommendations on docs.sun.com. Hopefully the situation will be better for Update 4.
- With only USB connectors for keyboard and mouse, connecting a PS/2 keyboard using a PS/2 to USB frob does not appear to work. Bug ID# 6539611. This has been closed - the defect was with the PS/2 to USB frob - not all of the announce themselves properly as a USB device and probes return a vendor and product ID of 0.
- The gap for the DVD-ROM tray to come out is the correct size for drives that Sun ships - the actual size for the front plate is larger for others, requiring some shaving off of plastic to get others to work correctly.
On the good side:
- I can reuse hard drive sleds from years ago to mount a second SATA drive and just "slide it in".
- With the fan working properly, it is much quieter than my old PC (not to mention faster), if only the keyboard worked...
And without a support contract (bought it for my own use), it's not clear that I've got any real recourse to have any of the above fixed...