By arungupta on Dec 05, 2007
I presented on GlassFish and related technologies (Metro, JRuby-on-GlassFish and jMaki) at the Department of Computer Science, Delhi University earlier this week. A more detailed blog describing that visit will be published later. But this blog is an attempt to create a summary of the main efforts that Sun has to offer to academic institutions.
The complete portfolio of Sun programs and solutions for the educational and research communities is listed here. More specific details are given below:
- Sun Software Programs for Education - Offers special discounts to Education community on software licenses, training and software support
- Sun Technology and Academic Resources (STAR) for Education and Research - STAR provides grants, collaborations and technology resources to educational institutions.
- SDN Academic Developer Program empowers Academic Developers through sharing, collaboration and open innovation. It offers tools, resources and communities in which to participate and share.
Academic Initiative is a program designed to introduce students to Sun
technologies and equip them with skills in their chosen fields of study. The
students get access to
- Latest Sun technologies
- High quality instruction and curriculum and course paths that lead to certification
- Courses that can be integrated into degree program
- Campus Ambassador (CA) program provides extensive training to a chosen student from a University on different Sun's open technologies including Java, NetBeans, GlassFish. This allow students to lead Sun's open source developer community in campus, run demos, promote Sun training events on campus and Sun tools to faculty. The chosen CA is paid a stipend :)
- Student Zone provides details for students and new graduates. This page also lists country-specific events, for example Sun India University Program.
- Sun's Real-world technology courses that earn you a certificate.
- Subscribe to Sun Student Connection monthly newsletter. It provides you latest news on open source developer tools, technology resources and a range of developer topics.
Finally, get started by submitting resume. Hope you find this useful!