TOTD #60: Configure MySQL 6.0.x-alpha to NetBeans 6.5
By arungupta on Jan 05, 2009
This Tip Of The Day answers the following comment on my blog:
How to Configure a MySql database to be able to connect Netbeans6.5.?
I've tried using mysql Server 6 many times, but it fails.
Please, let me know how to fix that problem.
- Download MySQL 6.0 from here.
- Install and start MySQL 6.0 on Mac OSX using the clearly written installation instructions.
- Basically the download is available in .tar or .dmg format. Using .dmg format is the easiest way, double-click and follow the instructions taking all defaults.
- MySQL is installed in
"/usr/local/mysql-6.0.8-alpha-osx10.5-x86_64" and the soft link is
adjusted so that its available from "/usr/local/mysql". The directory
structure looks like:
lrwxr-xr-x 1 root wheel 32 Jan 5 14:00 mysql -> mysql-6.0.8-alpha-osx10.5-x86_64
drwxr-xr-x 3 root wheel 102 Jan 5 14:00 mysql-5.0.45-osx10.4-i686
drwxr-xr-x 17 root wheel 578 Nov 3 21:02 mysql-6.0.8-alpha-osx10.5-x86_64
- Start MySQL server as: "sudo mysqld_safe" to see the
~ >sudo mysqld_safe
090105 14:20:51 mysqld_safe Logging to '/usr/local/mysql/data/dhcp-usca14-133-38.SFBay.Sun.COM.err'.
090105 14:20:52 mysqld_safe Starting mysqld daemon with databases from /usr/local/mysql/data
- In NetBeans 6.5, Services tab, right-click on "Databases"
and click on "Register MySQL Server..." as shown below:
- Take the default values, if your MySQL
instance is running on the default ports, as shown below:
and click on "OK". If your database is already running then NetBeans will automatically connect with the database. If the database is not running then start it as explained above, right-click on the newly added database as shown below:
and the default databases are then shown as:
More details about configuring MySQL in NetBeans 6.5 are explained in the official documentation.
Please leave suggestions on other TOTD (Tip Of The Day) that you'd like to see. An archive of all the tips is available here.
Technorati: totd netbeans mysql