Rails Conf Europe 2007 - Day 2
By arungupta on Sep 18, 2007
Day 2 started with regular announcements and keynote by DHH. The demographic distribution of approximately 750 attendees was shown in the filler slides right before the keynote:
The technical sessions and BoFs started today and the exhibit hall was opened as well. Sun booth was swamped and we showed "NetBeans Tooling for Ruby on Rails", "Rails and Software as a Service" and "Rails powered by jMaki and GlassFish".
The demo showed at "Rails powered by jMaki and GlassFish" is available here. And here are some other pointers mentioned in the booth:
- GlassFish allows existing Java EE applications and RoR apps in one container.
- GlassFish provides high availability and clustering support integrated in the app server.
- GlassFish provides database connection pooling that allows to reuse database connections.
- Applications can be re-deployed on GlassFish without any need to re-start the server.
- The development and deployment environment is exactly the same.
There are few others and they will be consolidated in an article later.
Both of Sun's talks today were well attended:
The lunch was quite a treat:
Here are some useful entries (with numerous pointers on screencasts, blogs, tips & extensive feature sets) to get you started with JRuby on Rails, NetBeans IDE, GlassFish and jMaki:
Use the tag "railsconfeurope" to ensure your blog/photos are aggregated appropriately.