Laptop upgrade to Vista Ultimate
By arungupta on Apr 02, 2007
I'm doing this on Toshiba Tecra M5 S433.
The document on how to Upgrade to Windows Vista for Toshiba Tecra M5 gave two options of "manual upgrade" and "manual clean installation". I decided to go the clean installation route mainly because it's simpler and cleaner. Here are the 4 steps listed in the document:
- Update the computer's BIOS
- Download the Toshiba RAID driver (if required)
- Install Windows Vista
- Download and install Toshiba software components for Windows Vista
The first step was straight forward so I updated the BIOS to Version 3.20. 2nd step was not required. Then I used the Vista DVD to install the media. And voila, it worked! The last step was kind painful as the document lists 23 software components that need to be downloaded and installed. I talked to the technical support and they said everybody needs to individually download each piece individually and then install them. Why can't Toshiba create a package with all the components that can be downloaded and installed easily ?
Anyway, to save some effort for others, I've provided the list of all the software components after searching for a download link for each of the component:
- Alps Pointing Device Driver (driver_touchpad_25333A.exe)
- Bluetooth Monitor (util_bluetooth_monitor_25351C.exe)
- Bluetooth Stack (driver_bluetooth_25503A.exe)
- PCIe Mini Card Driver (driver_wifi_intel_25485B.exe)
- Intel Calistoga GM Display Driver (?)
- nVidia Display Driver (driver_display_nvidia_25409E.exe)
- SigmaTel Audio HD Driver (driver_audio_sigmatel_25410B.exe)
- Toshiba Fingerprint Utility (util_fingerprint_25535A.exe)
- Toshiba Software Modem (driver_modem_25342E.exe)
- CD/DVD Drive Acoustic Silencer (util_drive_silencer_25330E.exe)
- Config Free (util_config_free_25573A.exe)
- TOSHIBA Assist (util_assist_25533A.exe)
- TOSHIBA Disc Creator (util_disc_creator_25489B.exe)
- TOSHIBA Extended Tiles for Windows Mobility Center (util_extended_tiles_25331C.exe)
- Toshiba HDD Protection (util_hdd_protection_25580A.exe)
- TOSHIBA IE Favorites Links
- TOSHIBA SD Memory Boot Utility (util_sd_memory_boot_25469C.exe)
- TOSHIBA SD Memory Utilities (util_sd_memory_25479B.exe)
- TOSHIBA Security Assist (util_security_assist_25329B.exe)
- Toshiba Software Upgrades (util_software_upgrades_25157C.exe)
- TOSHIBA Value Added Package (util_tvap_25459E.exe)
- User's Guide - Unattended Installation
- Wireless Key Logon (util_wireless_key_logon_25356D.exe)
This was quite a time consuming process since I had to search for exact match of my laptop's model (Tecra M5 S433) and then copy/paste the link etc. Anyway of the entire list, so far I've installed #9 since that allows me to login to my laptop using biometrics and I love that functionality. May be I'll install others later but I'm good for now.
As I mentioned earlier, this entry is indeed from my laptop with Vista
Ultimate now. One good thing with Vista installation is that it preserved all my
personal data (which is huge directory space) so there was no need for backing
up the laptop. Instead it moved
Documents and Settings directories to
This makes using old data really easy.
So overall, not a bad experience but I spent significant part of my Sunday doing this installation. Hopefully this will save some time for you.