Frankfurt to San Jose - $54.54 for one minute call
By arungupta on Jan 27, 2008
|Transaction Description||INTL CL\* 800-5762118 CA|
|Called From||GERMANY GE Number: 0114901113|
|Called To||LOS GATOS CA Number: xxx-xxx-xxxx|
|Time of Call: 00:22||Duration: 00:05|
|Merchant Address||INTERNATIONAL CALLING
511 E SAN YSIDRO BLVD
SAN YSIDRO CA 92173
Gosh, this turned out to be an EXPENSIVE call!
The duration is listed as 00:05, i.e. 5 seconds. I remember talking for approx a minute. IMHO having no information is better than having incorrect one.
Fortunately, the customer service number was correct and I got some points clarified:
- This call is placed through satellite and that's why they charged this rate. He could not explain why satellite is used when credit card is used to call.
- The pulse rate is 5 minutes. So the telephone company always charge in multiple of 5 minutes.
- Talk to a live operator, inquire about the rates and then place the call. In the United States, making an operator-assisted call charges you more money. So this was completely non-intuitive to me.
- Because of some stated law, the international calling rate, pulse rate and similar information cannot be placed on the phone equipment. Again, no reference to what/where the law is.
- Use a pre-paid card to make the international call. This is a lesson learned for me, hard way!
Technorati: frankfurt airport traveltips phone