acts_as_conference 2008 - Day 1 Report
By arungupta on Feb 08, 2008
Ezra Zybmuntowicz (Merb core developer) talked about Merb.
What is Merb ?
- Started after tried to make Rails thread-safe and memory foot print lower.
- All (everything?) you need, none you don't.
- Replacement for ActionPack.
- Similar to Rails, fixes a bunch of problems like performance, memory collection.
- 2000 requests/second
- merb-core, merb-more, merb-plugins are some of the key components.
Then Evan Phonix (started Rubinius) talked about the "Ruby kernel written in Ruby". He talked about how Rubinius is a community-driven implementation (90 committers in last 365 days) and building a rich and high-performance environment for running Ruby code.
In the welcome session, Robert Dempsey explained the two goals for the conference - "wide & deep on variety of topics" and "technologies that integrate with Ruby". Here are some statistics presented:
- 30-70 people for every Rails meetup
- Orlando #16, Tampa #17 for Rails jobs
- 90% using Rails as part of job
- 50% first time visitors to any Rails conf
- 50% local to Orlando
The party at Orlando Ale House was a good blast. Here are some pictures:
And finally the day ended with dinner @ GOL! The Taste of Brazil - highly recommended with a great variety of salads and meat. I particularly enjoyed Lime & Strawberry Caipirinha.
In next few hours, stay tuned for Charlie's session on JRuby and Brian's talk on NetBeans/Ruby tomorrow. You can always come and talk to me about GlassFish/JRuby - an "eco friendly" alternative to WEBrick and Mongrel at Sun booth. If not there, I'm sitting in back of the room :)
And we are also giving away 5 copies of Agile Web Development with Rails: 2nd Edition in sweepstakes tomorrow, right after Brian's talk.
The complete album is available at: