Monday Jan 11, 2016
Monday Dec 07, 2015
By Bob Rhubart-Oracle on Dec 07, 2015
With the possible exception of this week's #1 video, none of the 2 Minute Tech Tips in the Top 10 list for Nov 28-Dec 6, 2015 were presented by robots. See for yourself.[Read More]
Friday Dec 04, 2015
By Bob Rhubart-Oracle on Dec 04, 2015
Monday Oct 12, 2015
By Bob Rhubart-Oracle on Oct 12, 2015
This week Ultan O'Broin enters the list at #1, knocking Dan McGhan out of the slot he's occupied for two weeks, while videos from Oracle ACE Director Dimitri Gielis and Oracle OSS Developer Advocate Blaine Carter also enter the Top 10.[Read More]
Tuesday Apr 07, 2015
By Bob Rhubart-Oracle on Apr 07, 2015
Friday Feb 13, 2015
By Bob Rhubart-Oracle on Feb 13, 2015
Among the 6,452 fans of the OTN ArchBeat Facebook Page, the 10 items below where the most popular for the last seven days, February 6-12, 2015.
- Using SQL XMLTable, XMLType, and XPath to Extract HTML CLOB Data | Jesse Stephens
A detailed technical how-to from Oracle Fusion Middleware A-Team solution architect Jesse Stephens.
- Oracle PaaS and UX: Keepin' it <af:simple/> with Oracle Alta UI and eProseed | Ultan O'Broin
"The cloud has changed everything, and user experience is no exception," writes Ultan O'Broin in this great recap of the Oracle Applications Cloud User Experience PaaS event held in conjunction with eProseed in the Netherlands. "Make no mistake; it's 'Game Over' for traditional ways of selling software and for people accepting less than compelling user experiences in work. User experience is a competitive must-have, and a capability to deliver a rockin’ UX using PaaS is the partner differentiator."
- Nexus and Atifactory support for proxying Oracle Maven Repository | Mark Nelson
Mark Nelson shares the good news for those using their own Maven Repository Manager, as the two major players add support to their products to allow proxying of the Oracle Maven Repository.
- Facebook Friday: Top 10 ArchBeat Posts for the week - Jan 30 -Feb 5, 2015
Last week's list of the Top 10 items shared on the OTN ArchBeat Facebook page includes content covering EJB, Maven, Oracle MAF, REST, WebLogic, and more.
- Submit Your OTN VTS Fusion Middleware Session/Track Ideas | Oracle Community
Use your words! Submit a proposal for a session in an upcoming Oracle Technology Network Virtual Technology Summit, or respond to a poll to help drive the selection of topics to be covered.
- Invite Enterprise Architecture to the Digital Party | WIRED
"All too often [enterprise architects] get buried in the IT department," says Jason Bloomberg in this Wired article. "Their focus ends up on technology concerns, which are important to be sure, but the connection to the business is tenuous at best."
- Oracle Mobile Development Certification Exam - Beta Testing | Shay Shmeltzer
As reported by Shay Shmeltzer, the Oracle Mobile Development 2015 Essentials Exam (1Z1-441) is now available in beta testing. According to Shay, this certification covers topics such as: Mobile Application Framework, Mobile Application Framework Data Layer, User Interface Development, Device Services Integration, and App Security. Up-to-date training and field experience are recommended. Click the link for more information.
- Oracle Maven Repository: Viewing Contents in Eclipse | Steven Button
"With the Oracle Maven Repository now accessible one way to have explore its contents is to use the Maven Repositories viewer feature available in most development tools," says Steve Button. His post focuses on accessing the Repository with Eclipse.
- Middleware Snippets: Cassandra and WebLogic | Rene van Wijk
Picking up where he left off in his previous post, Oracle ACE Director Rene van Wijk shows you how to use Grinder and Java Mission Control to monitor the JVM in which Cassandra is running.
- Training, Certification, and Career Goals: How did you get where you are?
What training or certification had the greatest impact on your career as a senior developer or software architect? Click the link to share your story. Your response could help others achieve their career goals.
Thursday Jan 22, 2015
By Bob Rhubart-Oracle on Jan 22, 2015
The middleware track for the next Oracle Technology Network Virtual Technology Summit consists of two completely different sub-tracks:
Yesterday's post featured the agenda for the Open Source and Integration sub-track. This post features the agenda for the Data Integration and Analytics sub-track.
In this post I want to focus on the agenda for the Open Source and Integration track, which covers WebLogic, Coherence, Maven and Java EE. I'll provide detail on the Data Integration and Analytics track in an upcoming post.
Register for this Free Event
|Session Abstract||Session Speaker Name/Title|
|Track Overview||This session includes an overview of the sessions in the middleware track, plus important information you need to know to get the most out of this OTN Virtual Technology Summit.||
Bob Rhubart, Manager, OTN Architect/Middleware Community
|HOL: Real-Time Data Replication to Hadoop using GoldenGate 12c Adaptors||Oracle GoldenGate 12c is well known for its highly performant data replication between relational databases. With the GoldenGate Adaptors, the tool can now apply the source transactions to a Big Data target, such as HDFS. In this session, we'll explore the different options for utilizing Oracle GoldenGate 12c to perform real-time data replication from a relational source database into HDFS. The GoldenGate Adaptors will be used to load movie data from the source to HDFS for use by Hive. Next, we'll take the demo a step further and publish the source transactions to a Flume agent, allowing Flume to handle the final load into the targets.||
Michael Rainey, Oracle ACE, Principal Consultant, Rittman Mead
|HOL: Bringing Oracle Big Data SQL to Oracle Data Integration 12c Mappings||Oracle Big Data SQL extends Oracle SQL and Oracle Exadata SmartScan technology to Hadoop, giving developers the ability to execute Oracle SQL transformations against Apache Hive tables and extending the Oracle Database data dictionary to the Hive metastore. In this session we'll look at how Oracle Big Data SQL can be used to create ODI12c mappings against both Oracle Database and Hive tables, to conbine customer data held in Oracle tables with incoming purchase activities stored on a Hadoop cluster. We'll look at the new transformation capabilities this gives you over Hadoop data, and how you can use ODI12c's Sqoop integration to copy the combined dataset back into the Hadoop environment.||
Mark Rittman, Oracle ACE Director, CTO and Co-Founder, Rittman Mead
|An Introduction to Oracle Enterprise Metadata Manager||This session takes a deep technical dive into the recently released Oracle Enterprise Metadata Manager. You’ll see the standard features of data lineage, impact analysis and version management applied across a myriad of Oracle and non-Oracle technologies into a consistent metadata whole, including Oracle Database, Oracle Data Integrator, Oracle Business Intelligence and Hadoop. This session will examine the Oracle Enterprise Metadata Manager "bridge" architecture and how it is similar to the ODI knowledge module. You will learn how to harvest individual sources of metadata, such as OBIEE, ODI, the Oracle Database and Hadoop, and you will learn how to create OEMM configurations that contain multiple metadata stores as a single coherent metadata strategy.||
Stewart Bryson, Oracle ACE Director, Owner and Co-founder, Red Pill Analytics
You'll find an extensive list of additional resources for these sessions here, including hands-on lab guides and other information you'll want to access before the event.
About the OTN Virtual Technology Summit
Remember, each OTN Virtual Technology Summit includes four primary tracks:
You'll find the complete event agenda hereNote that the Database, Systems, and Middleware tracks each are split into two sub-tracks. So your registration for this event provides access to a total of seven tracks, and more than 20 individual sessions. You can freely switch between any of the tracks at any time.
Wednesday Nov 12, 2014
By Bob Rhubart-Oracle on Nov 12, 2014
Pythian consultant and OCA Oracle Database 12c SQL Fundamentals I Exam Guide author Roopesh Roomklass focuses his tip on extended data types in Oracle Database 12c.
Roopesh's tip is based on "An Introduction to Extended Data Types in Oracle 12c," a post on his Pythian blog.
Want more 2 Minute Tech Tips? Click here.
Have an idea for a 2 Minute Tech Tip? Let's talk!
Friday Aug 01, 2014
By Bob Rhubart-Oracle on Aug 01, 2014
Among the 5,265 followers of the OTN ArchBeat Facebook Page -- a community that could possibly include cycloptic star creatures from a distant planet -- these are the top 10 most popular posts for the last seven days, July 25-31, 2014.
- Rapid creation of Virtual Machine(s) for SOA Suite 12.1.3 server run time environment - leveraging Vagrant, Puppet and Biemond | Lucas Jellema
Oracle ACE Director Lucas Jellema extends his series on using Vagrant and Puppet for the automated creation of Virtual Machines, with a description the steps he took to create two VMs using scripts written by Edwin Biemond.
- Fastest way to a Virtual Machine with JDeveloper 12.1.3 and Oracle Database XE 11gR2 - on Ubuntu Linux 64 bit | Lucas Jellema
Oracle ACE Director Lucas Jellema gets you there in 10 steps.
- Video: Oracle SOA Suite 12c: REST Enabling SOA
This video from the Oracle Learning Library demonstrates how to REST enable an existing SOAP service using Oracle SOA Suite 12c, a technique that can be used for mobile service enablement.
- GlassFish Server Open Source Edition 4.0 Download – nightly builds | Jurgen Kress
"As an open source project, GlassFish is being developed in an open and transparent manner," explains Jurgan Kress. Read his short post to learn where to download the latest build.
- Test your Application with the WebLogic Maven plugin | Edwin Biemond
Software architect Edwin Biemond shows you how easy it is to add some unit tests to your application when you use Maven together with the 12.1.3 Oracle software such as WebLogic , JDeveloper or Eclipse OEPE.
- Twitter Tuesday - Top 10 @ArchBeat Tweets - July 22-28, 2014
This week's list of Top 10 Tweets includes items on Big Data, Glassfish, Hadoop, Java, ODI, OSB, SOA Suite 12c, and more.
- Why Oracle Big Data SQL Potentially Solves a Big Issue with Hadoop Security | Mark Rittman
A technical analysis from Oracle ACE Director and business intelligence expert Mark Rittman.
- Introduction to Fusion Applications Roles Concepts | Jack Desai
This post from the Fusion Middleware A-Team blog reviews the definition of "Functional Roles" and provides introductory internals on the technical implementation of "Roles” within Fusion Applications.
- Video: Cluster Targeted JMS Load Balancing and Co-Location | Frank Munz
A new addition to the "Oracle WebLogic: Distinctive Recipes" video series from Oracle ACE Director Frank Munz.
- 10 Tips for getting started with Oracle MAF | Graeme Mawson
Graeme Mawson shares a collection of "little tips and tricks that will make life easier as you’re learning your way around" the Oracle Mobile Application Framework (MAF).
Tuesday Jul 29, 2014
By Bob Rhubart-Oracle on Jul 29, 2014
Among the 2,998 people who follow @OTNArchBeat these ten tweets were the most popular for over the last seven days, July 22-28, 2014.
- RT @forrester: As #bigdata explodes, so do old ways of doing business. @PracticingEA explains why a reset is necessary. #forrbigdata
Jul 23, 2014 at 02:50 PM
- RT @brunoborges: This is a robot of the Home League at #RoboCup2014 and it is using @Java for state machine. Cool!!
Jul 23, 2014 at 02:52 PM
- Why Oracle Big Data #SQL Potentially Solves a Big Issue with #Hadoop Security | Mark Rittman
Jul 28, 2014 at 07:37 AM
- What's New in #SOA Suite 12c - Rapid Installation >> excerpt from a white paper by @SOASimone
Jul 23, 2014 at 04:24 PM
- Oracle #SOASuite at #OOW14: List of Sessions and Speakers
Jul 25, 2014 at 10:46 AM
- Archive Podcast: Data Warehousing and #ODI w/ @gurcan_orhan @ubethke @CameronLackpour @mRainey
Jul 24, 2014 at 12:19 PM
- Set-up a 12c Oracle Service Bus Infrastructure | Rene van Wijk #soa #oraclace
Jul 25, 2014 at 10:35 AM
- The OTNArchBeat Daily is out! Stories via @JavaOneConf
Jul 24, 2014 at 01:47 PM
- RT @MoDJorg: IT-Security (Part 6): WebLogic Server and Authorization
Jul 23, 2014 at 05:24 PM
- The OTNArchBeat Daily is out! Stories via @glassfish @OracleSOA @wrecks47
Jul 23, 2014 at 01:47 PM
- The ArchBeat Blog has moved!
- Twitter Tuesday: Top 10 Tweets - February 23-29, 2016
- 2 Minute Tech Tips Videos - Weekly Top 10 - February 22-28, 2016
- Facebook Friday: Top Ten Posts - February 19-25, 2016.
- At-a-Glance Guide to the OTN Virtual Technology Summit
- Twitter Tuesday: Top 10 Tweets - February 17-22, 2016
- 2 Minute Tech Tips Videos - Weekly Top 10 - February 15-21, 2016
- Facebook Friday: Top Ten Tech Posts - February 12-18, 2016
- Twitter Tuesday: Top 10 Tweets - February 9-15, 2016
- 2 Minute Tech Tips Videos - Weekly Top 10 - February 8-14, 2016