The latest OTN ArchBeat Podcast series features a conversation about conversations about Cloud Computing.
Need an explanation? OK.
Three of the four panelists for this discussion were directly involved in the planning and execution of the Cloud Computing track at Collaborate 2014, the conference held in Las Vegas this past April under the auspices of the International Oracle User Group, the Oracle Applications User Group, and Quest.
The fourth panelist is an expert in cloud computing who presented at Collaborate, though his presentation on engineered systems was not part of the cloud track.
I pulled these four people together for this panel discussion because I wanted to hear from them about the conversations that took place in and around the Collaborate cloud computing track in order to get a sense of what members of the Oracle community are talking about when they talk about cloud computing. The insight from the panelists offers a great snapshot of the street-level reality of cloud computing. And the reality is that despite some lingering misperceptions, cloud is indeed a reality.
Listen for yourself.
The Panelists(Listed alphabetically)
- Ron Batra, an Oracle ACE Director, is product director for Cloud Computing at AT&T, and was the Chairman of the Cloud track at Collaborate 2014.
- Kelly Goetsch a product manager for the Oracle Fusion Middleware Cloud Application Foundation, is the author of eCommerce in the Cloud published in April by O'Reilly Media [Read a sample chapter]. Kelly was a presenter at Collaborate 2014.
- Basheer Khan, an Oracle ACE Director, is an IT architect and the principal at Knex Technology. Basheer was a presenter in the Collaborate 2014 Cloud track.
- Steve Lemme is Director of Partner Enablement at Oracle, and he's one of the founders of the IOUG Cloud Special Interest Group, the group behind the Collaborate 2014 Cloud track.
- Listen to Part 1: Organizers of the Cloud Computing Track at Collaborate 2014 discuss the evolving maturity of questions, conversations, and presentations about Cloud.
- Listen to Part 2: Cloud awareness and understanding has matured, but some questions and confusion remain among those coming late to the cloud party.
- Listen to Part 3: Is the Cloud hype cycle over? Real world experience suggests that the hype wasn't hype.
- Listen to Part 4: Cloud represents a new way to do IT. But will it become the only way to do IT?
- Listen to Part 5: Looking to the future: anticipating cloud conversations at Oracle Open World.
A Noteworthy Change
Each program in the OTN ArchBeat Podcast consists of a multipart series. The original panel discussion for each program runs about 30 minutes, and is then cut into shorter segments for listener convenience, typically 6-10 minutes each. Since the podcast's launch in 2009 the individual segments in each series have been released on a weekly basis. Starting with this series, I'm releasing all segments at once. So now you can binge-listen to the entire series, or spread the segments out on your own schedule. Let me know what you think of this new strategy.
Be a Guest Producer for an ArchBeat Podcast
Want to be a guest producer for an OTN ArchBeat podcast, put your topic and panelist suggestions in a comment on this post, or contact me at @OTNArchBeat.